Macbook pro 2010 model cleaning sticky keys HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jed213, May 13, 2010.

1. Jed213 macrumors newbie

I was just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on cleaning macbook pro keys.

I spilt pepsi on my 15' macbook pro about a week ago and somehow managed to save it. I took it to next byte and they took it apart and cleaned it, although they informed me that they couldn't clean the keys for me and that they were sticking from the pepsi residue. They told me the entire top case would need replaced at a cost of $630.

I have looked up how to clean the keyboard on macbook pros, but am having trouble finding the right model, everything i find is from older versions of macbook pros.

I need to know what I should do to stop the keys sticking, and if with the new pros if it really is that hard to remove and clean the keys?

What should i do taking into account that I have never taken a computer apart before and wouldn't really know what to do.

It is the 2.4 GHz 15" macbook pro, please help.

2. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

You can buy a new keyboard without replacing the top case aka unibody. This company that had to take the laptop completely apart to clean it should have offered you this option and since they did not I would be questioning whether they disassembled the entire lower half of your notebook.

3. Jed213 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I think you may be right, they seemed kind of dodgy, although they are an authorised apple repair centre. Since posting I have cleaned the keyboard with isopropyl and the stickiness is almost completely gone. I just hope I haven't damaged anything with the alcohol. Since getting it back I have noticed the backlight near the spill isn't as bright as the rest of the keyboard. Not trying to defend them or anything but ifixit also states that if something is spilled or any keys are damaged that apple will have to replace the entire top shell at a phenomenal cost $630 Australian.

4. rfairley macrumors newbie

Worked for me...

Hey there,

I bought some Oral B Ultrafloss - it's this kinda thick dental floss that is really like cotton. I dampened the floss with water (I licked mine while drinking, so you might try rubbing alcohol) and weaved it under one key at a time. I ran it back and forth all the way around the key, pulling up slightly to clean the bottom of the key.

This worked for me, and I hope it works for you! My last spill was OJ and there was still some beer in there from spill number one. I am one lucky bugger when it comes to spills in my MBP.

Hope this helps!

5. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I'd get a top case quote from Apple too just to see if they are cheaper than the service provider since they often work on hourly labor rates...