macbook pro (2010) noise thread (+audio example)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spacefrodo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. spacefrodo macrumors newbie

My new macbook pro i5 15inch (april 2010) is making a constant noise i haven't heard in my previous macbooks, including the last unibody from 2009.

The noise is probably from the fan (though not the normal blowing fan noise from a macbook) and it kicks in from the moment i turn my macbook on...
    When lifting my mac and tilting it in different directions, i can clearly hear the rotational frequency changing, i can even tilt it gently in a particular position so the noise is canceled though only in said position which is not horizontal....very strange. (and it's not the hd acceleration lock that i'm hearing in action)

Instead of further describing the noise, i attached a zip file containing an mp3 recorded directly with the internal microphone.

You may want to play the file with quicktime/itunes (software volume open) on your own macbook speakers, with the physical keyboard buttons set the volume on the second bar and you shouldn't perceive much more than the normal noise levels of your macbook, now turn up the volume and you'll hear what i mean...after that, lower the volume till 0 and you should remain with your macbooks noise and compare if the sound is the same...

Is it just me or is that sound not familiar to a normal functioning macbook?

Attached Files:

2. spacefrodo thread starter macrumors newbie

no one?

I just wanted some opinions before reaching for the phone...

And wanted to know if there are others with this problem?

3. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Reach for the phone. Its only going to get worse believe me. This happened with the first round of macbook pros in 06, so disheartening to hear that whirr again, really hoping i havent got it again on my ordered one!

4. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

BTW on my 06 model i ended up having to manually replace both fans, which is pretty ridiculous.

5. nconnella macrumors regular

Ouch. Not normal. My 2010 is as about as loud as a rock. Flee my friend, flee as quickly as you can back to the Apple store (or call).

6. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

IHO it is not a normal MBP noise and I would take it back to Apple for correction.

Neil

7. spacefrodo thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your answers, guess I will have to call apple...

my macbook is one week old now; do I have the right to ask a new one or will this one be repaired? what's the normal procedure and time frame? I can't afford being without my macbook for too long.

btw, i'm from belgium