Macbook Pro 2010 not functioning...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajsnow6234, Aug 12, 2010.

1. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

So, I made a new thread on this...don't kill me :)

A couple days ago my MBP '10 (bought April 13) locked up while I was trying to burn a DVD. So...I powered it down by holding down the power button. Ever since then I haven't been able to turn it back on successfully. The fan spins up and I hear the chime..but no video. I started by unplugging, but of course I can't just pop the battery out. After it was on over night I verified that it was off and it did not turn on. Re-inserted power and attempted power up...same thing

tried reseting PRAM
    tried reseting SMC
    Same thing...
    tried plugging into external VGA monitor...same thing.

Seems to me the GPU is funked, but obviously I can't be sure. I did plug in a firewire cable to my work PC laptop and tried Target disk mode (just to get personal stuff off for backup) but it just showed up as a removable drive that is not accessible. I'm thinking there is a password for the keychain that needs to be enabled for it to work...but I can't.

If anyone has any other ideas before I make an Apple appointment feel free to chime in...

2. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Just as a side note: You can in fact disconnect the battery. Take the plate off the back of the MBP and you'll see 3 or 4 black wires in chain leading from the battery to the motherboard. Simply pop the connector off with your fingers and pop it back on. Easy.

3. ajsnow6234 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh thanks for that man...I was looking around for that (obviously not hard enough).

I'm going to be taking off the back and getting the HDD out to recover some data before bring to the Apple store anyway, i'll try that.

4. torpy macrumors regular

Same thing happened to mine. Took it in and they replaced my logic board..