Macbook Pro 2010 & Old 20" Cinema Display problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by br1nary, May 8, 2013.

1. br1nary macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am currently trying to connect my MBP to an old cinema display. I have a DVI adapter and this has worked before, but since a recently ML upgrade the display kind of pulses on and off showing how its meant to.

Heres a video of what i'm seeing

http://videobam.com/HtRrz

Anyone know any solutions to this?

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

That's odd. Almost seems like an unsupported mode, although I don't know why the laptop screen would be doing the same thing. I'd be inclined to suspect the adapter.

What does it do in clamshell mode?

3. br1nary thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried flicking through the different resolutions whilst the picture flicks on and off.

It does the same thing in clam shell mode. I am also suspecting the adapter but don't want to fork out for a new one if I can't absolutely pinpoint it to this issue.

Might run into an apple store and ask their opinion on my way home from work.

----------

I am also considering the fact that the adapter I am using is a DVI dual link, where as the monitor connector is a single link

----------

i think anyway..

[​IMG]

4. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I picked up a single link relplacement adapter from Monoprice on Ebay for $5. Worth a shot if you don't have another computer handy to test it on.

5. br1nary thread starter macrumors newbie

I just bought a replacement adapter from ebay for £4.99.

I did try it with a different MBP which did not detect the display at all - guess trying an alternative adapter is worth a shot anyway