MacBook Pro 2010 Recurring Issues.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Roger The Alien, May 18, 2012.

1. Roger The Alien macrumors newbie

Hello!!
    I'm looking for some advice regarding some issues I've had with my MacBook pro.

I got my MacBook pro in September 2010. Straight away I had issues.

These are the issues I have had 3 genius bar appointments for so far (the first appt being in November 2010.)

1)The battery was only lasting a maximum of 3-4hrs no matter what I was doing.

2)The fans would go crazy 4000+rpm.

3)Then permissions were mucked up. I would send a file to another computer and they would always be locked and the files could not be trashed.

4) The ) key stopped working, I had to create a new home account and move everything over to get the key to work.

The last two genius bar appointments the diagnostic showed that my hard-drive had failed and I was told it would be replaced. Both times it was not replaced.

They told me that it was the fan causing the hard drive to register a failure.

Now i am having the same issues again but worse.
    The fan runs at 5000+RPM at times.
    It beach balls and is generally slow to respond.
    Permissions are mucked up and files I send to other computers are locked and cannot be deleted.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or can give me any help with what to do next.

Should I make another genius bar appointment? Explaining that there must be an issue with the hard drive?

Or are there any possible causes for the issues I am experiencing?

I can't keep going back to the apple store (I live in Peterborough where there is no apple store so I travel to the apple store in London)

I have work that I need my computer for I cant keep sending it away for repair for 3 weeks at a time.
    Then I get it back with the no new hard drive and the same issue recurring!

TL;DR?: Is my MacBook Pro fu*ked?

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Sounds like a hard drive problem... If they say it is shot then it probably is. I would do a disk utility verify/repair permissions and possibly get a new HD in it. You can get a good 750gb HD in there for $60-80.

As for your fans running high, IDK. Try a SMC reset. And your battery life sounds normal to me, if a bit high.

3. Laco macrumors 6502

I do not know about 3 and 4.

1. My Macbook has run at 6200 rpm everyday for the past 5 years. It is probably because I always have either Safari and Chrome open with multiple tabs and Macs are awful with flash so the fans go crazy. It does not bother me at all. You may have the same issue.

2. 4 hours seems reasonable for a 2 and a half year old battery under real world settings.