Macbook Pro 2010 Screen White smudge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timelesstoyou, Jan 30, 2013.

1. timelesstoyou macrumors newbie

Hi,

Hey all.. :) I was hoping someone could help me out or had a similar experience..My Macbook screen seems to be showing a white smudge appearing when the background goes dark ...like when I play a movie or watch video on Khan Academy (he uses a blackboard) I have only noticed this problem last month and now its getting annoying...I still have apple care...do you think they will replace the screen.?

do look at the pic i took :) thanks!:)

Attached Files:

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Khan Academy! Totally forgot about that place! I wonder if they have any new stuff I'd be interested in since I checked it out last year.

About your issue, looks like some bad backlight bleed. Does it get better when you tilt the screen, or is that pretty much as good as it gets from what I can see in your shot? If your shot is as good as it gets, I'd bring it to an Apple Store and have them take a look.

3. timelesstoyou thread starter macrumors newbie

His library keeps expanding! Anyway when tillting the screen it does have slight impact...but the smudge is still visible.. Do you think the problem will be covered by apple care? :)

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Looks more like a pressure mark to me. Backlight bleed is what people are calling that now?

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Sounds like you're assuming that we're looking at the same thing.

What area are you looking at? I'm talking about the bottom part of the display ... huge whitish glow.

Are you referring to the horizontal light stripe that looks like camera flash reflecting off smudges on the glass?

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Dead center in the pictures. It is partially covered by the horizontal stripe, but angles down about 45 degrees. The OP does refer to it as a white smudge, so I figured that's what he was talking about.

7. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Ahh, yeah, you're probably right. My bad. Looks like finger print smudges that got smeared to me. It does look like pressure damage, though.

I thought they were talking about the huge half circle "glow" going on in the bottom half the display.

8. timelesstoyou thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the input.. my question is now will apple care cover...

I am assuming it won't because pressure damage would have come from 'external force'

any advice would be helpful :)

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's worth asking if you've got an Apple store nearby. I've seen display defects that are typically caused by damage get covered. There is a good chance they'll say no, but at the same time I haven't seen this issue on newer MBPs, it was really common on the old iBooks and tiBooks.

10. timelesstoyou thread starter macrumors newbie

Just visited the genuis bar and they told me they will replace it :eek: FREE

Thanks for you're input much appreciated