Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacBook Pro 2010 SIL and not booting

exoduspi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
Hi,

Looking for some advise on things I can try. I have a MacBook Pro from 2010 that is not booting. The first glaring problem is there is zero machine activity from the battery. The charge indicators do not light up and the machine doesn't power up when the power button is pressed - zero sounds. Once the mag cable is plugged in the charge indicator turns on (7 lights but none blinking for active charging). I press the power button and the the SIL blinks once and there is one faint wind up sound and then repeats continuously (one SIL blink and sound).

I have previously replaced the battery on this MacBook and assumed bad battery or loose RAM. I reseated the RAM, and tried again no change. I removed the battery and started the machine with the Mac in non battery mode. It did NOT fully boot. One remaining tick mark in the boot cycle and it stopped the boot cycle and the screen froze.

This is making me think either the boot drive has a bad sector or the main board is having some other issue. Anyone here encounter similar circumstance of anyone have other things I can try? Thanks!

Audit13

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Disconnect the internal boot drive and boot from an external drive.

Try with only one stick of ram.

Try with no ram and listen for beep errors. If there are no beeps or errors, there could be something wrong with the logic board.

exoduspi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
I haven't tried boot an external drive yet. Need to format a large enough USB stick.

I did remove memory and then memory plus drives and the machine is still hung with the blinking SIL. No other signs of POST. I was able to copy the entire existing drive drive without running into any issues with bad sectors. Seems like a CPU or main board failure....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.