MacBook Pro 2010 slow with external monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xemi, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Xemi macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    tried searching but to no avail.
    So basically whenever I use an external monitor on my 15" MacBook Pro 2010, the performance just goes down the toilet. I've tried it with two external displays, a 21" LED monitor and a 32" LCD television and with both I have the same issues.

The computer in general just becomes sluggish, I first noticed it with just general web browsing so thought it could be the wireless signal being disrupted by the display but I've just ran a test while using one of the displays and its fine.[​IMG]
    When I say sluggish I mean even something like swapping between tabs on Google chrome it takes 2-3 seconds. I've tried games that normally run perfectly fine (WoW, LoL, CS:GO) but with an external they also become slow, not unplayable, just slow.

All this issues go away if I unplug the display but I'd really much prefer to be able to use it.

Also I should mention it has nothing to do with running a dual display as when I use the external display, the laptop screen is off. It only uses the external one.

Thanks for any advice :)

2. B..., Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

B... macrumors 68000

B...

It is because the 2010 "weak" GPU has to drive the moniter causing bad performance. Nothing you can do but upgrade to a new computer.

You could try an SMC reset just to see.

3. Xemi thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I do that?
    Also something I forgot to mention... I run Windows on bootcamp almost 100% of the time, haven't tried to see if the issue persists on OS X

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Search SMC reset on google and click on the Apple Support Link: "Resetting the System Management..."

Try in OSX and see if the same problem is there.