Macbook Pro 2010 to a MBA 2011....

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nizmoz, Jun 6, 2011.

  1. nizmoz macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    #1
    So I sold my MBP 2010 13" for a MBA and was hoping to know something today about the new ones. I really do need a laptop and expected to know something this week so I can order it.

    Now I see people talking July, or September, and I can't afford that wait as I need a laptop.

    So now I am not sure what to do. I really wanted the mobility of the AIR as I sold my MBP for one or I would have kept it. Does anyone have a definite from previous experience when this will happen? :(

    I mostly use my laptop for Emails, browsing, some photo editing, and rare video stuff as I have a home Pc for all that. And I really wanted to wait for the new i series processors hoping they get into the MBA and not get a ancient C2D again.
     
  2. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #2
    On Tuesdays Apple updates hardware. There have been rumors about a June refresh for awhile with a few solid sources. I would suspect this or next Tuesday might be good days as Apple has done that before avoiding a live event for quiet update when there is no real progress and it's just a slight bump update that may not even be a real upgrade depending on how it is viewed.

    I wouldn't give up hope yet, but I would strongly consider the 2010 MBA even after the update as they will be discounted.

    I think it would make a lot of sense for Apple to wait for Lion to do any updates, but I suspect that they will just offer a free Lion update as they have done with prior OS X updates.

    Good luck with your wait.
     
  3. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2007
    #3
    Now you know not to base purchasing decisions off rumors. And the current airs can do what you mentioned anyways.
     
  4. nizmoz, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

    nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    #4
    Scott, thanks for the info. I will give it another week.

    Eclipse, oh I am aware of that. But if I spend $1200 on a new AIR, why not spend it on the new one that is about to be released any day? It makes more financial sense for the long term.
     
  5. h00ligan macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Location:
    A hot desert
    #5
    I personally don't agree with many that airs have an 'any minute now' update coming. I believe it will be very late summer or fall. I'm basing this of technology availability.
     
  6. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2007
    #6
    The problem is you don't know it will be released any day, you're just taking a gamble on the words of clueless internet forum people. Now you have no laptop.
     
  7. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

    macjonny1

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2006
  8. KylePowers macrumors 68000

    KylePowers

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2011
    #8
    While I too am impatiently awaiting the new MBA, I'll be waiting 'til it arrives before I sell my laptop lol
     
  9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2010
    #9
    Eclipse point is that you based your decision on rumors, so there's inherent risk in doing that ... sure, if you knew the update was going to happen, then wait, but having used a rumor, now you're out a laptop and now makes less financial sense in both the short and long term considering time lost, opportunity cost, the money you lost on the MBP sale, etc.
     
  10. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2011
    Location:
    USEA
  11. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

    tbobmccoy

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2007
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #11
    For you perhaps. I'm planning on upgrading to the Air as well and its lightweight, looks, and power are perfect for me. I'm only holding off because I've been holding off this long, I might as well continue to wait. It'll be in the next month.
     
  12. oghowie macrumors 6502a

    oghowie

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    #12
    I'm actually going to sell my 2011 15" MBP and move to a 13" MBA because the MBP just turned out to be too big and heavy for around the house casual use.
     
  13. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

    GekkePrutser

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2005
    Location:
    Ireland
    #13
    Availability of what? The ULV and LV Sandy Bridge cpu's (this would be a nice one for the 11" and this for the 13") have been out and available since Q1, in fact Samsung is using them in their 9 series already (although in the 13" model, where I suspect Apple would look at that CPU for the 11" model).

    There have been some other ULV models announced recently that won't be out for a while (these ones in particular) but they're just faster versions of the same CPU's that are already out. I don't think Apple is waiting for them, the Air has never been about getting the fastest possible anyway.
     
  14. h00ligan macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Location:
    A hot desert
    #14
    See I do think apple is waiting for them. The faster versions. Either faster or battery life. What's the tdp of the Ulv chips at now?
     
  15. AkuskaUK macrumors 6502

    AkuskaUK

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2011
    Location:
    Shanklin, Isle Of Wight
    #15
    Too heavy? i use a 15" MBP and i use it every day, i even travel over 40 miles a day and it is still easy, i should be getting a 17"MBP soon, that may be a little difficult!
     

Share This Page