Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IRuby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
Wisconsin
Hello
Looking for advice on how to proceed with an upgrade on the following:
MacBook Pro (2010) 7,1
2.4 GHz
4G 1067 DDR3
OSX 10.6.8

This computer is working well enough, albeit slowing a bit (housekeeping?) What is prompting the upgrade starts with a new camera (Canon 7Dmk2) which necessitates an upgrade of Adobe Lightroom since LR3 does not support the camera. The new Lightroom (LR6) requires OSX 10.8 as a minimum which I don't currently have. As a result I'm looking at an OSX upgrade and reading reviews on the various (newer) OS versions the most current (2) haven't sounded so good. I currently use Mavericks on my IMAC and really have no troubles with it, so would like to load this onto the MBP. At the same time, with SSD prices what they are, I'd replace the current 250G HD with a Samsung 850EVO (this will be large enough for what I do).

First, I realize the advice out there regarding obtaining OSs not retrieved from Apple, which I have downloaded (Mavericks). Assume I have everything that I need backed up and am not afraid of losing anything on the laptop. Is wanting to install Mavericks vs. the current offering misguided?

Next, how would I proceed making the switch, since I assume this wouldn't be a clone? Do I first format the new SSD, load the OS (mavericks) and then copy the HD contents over?

I am by no means an expert with computers, though I think above the average user, FWIW.

Thanks for any help...

Bob

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
The SSD is the best upgrade you'll ever do to any computer. I always keep my OS up to date where I can because they are just more secure as time goes on.
Mavericks is a fine OS though so by all means go for it, if you decide to go newer then straight to El Capitan over Yosemite in my opinion.

To be honest you could just copy the whole system accross to the SSD and install it if you wanted.

IRuby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
Wisconsin
I can be convinced to go with El Capitan, if it isn't likely to give me grief. So what then, would be the correct order to make the changes? Perform the clone to the SSD, then upgrade the OS? Same question, if I'd prefer to attempt using Mavericks...

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Either way you can update first or second. If you've got a good back up why not upgrade and try it out before you swap over to the SSD??

Also be very gentle with the SATA cable when swapping Hard drives the ones in that vintage are notoriously easy to break.

IRuby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
Wisconsin
Well, the SSD is a given in my mind when looking at the cost/benefit which is why I'd do it right away. Is El Capitan problematic to the point of not recommending, or is this overblown?

Not really knowing the correct process for this, if I were to "clone" a HD this would include the OS, correct? I would like as clean an install as possible which is why it seams to me setting up the new SSD first, then transferring all data to follow...?
This is where I'm lost.
Also, I assume I am "buying" El Capitan - not a free upgrade, true?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Is El Capitan problematic to the point of not recommending, or is this overblown?

I haven't had any issues with any of the OSX releases, although I didn't particularly like 10.7. I find that no matter how good of a OS Apple releases, someone will find nits to pick.

I would like as clean an install as possible which is why it seams to me setting up the new SSD first, then transferring all data to follow...?

If you use time machine this process is pretty easy.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Also, I assume I am "buying" El Capitan - not a free upgrade, true?

OS X 10.9, 10.10 and 10.11 have all been free upgrades.

IRuby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
Wisconsin
Thanks - I'll think I'll take a chance and go for it.
5DIII would be a great pairing to the 7DII - maybe someday.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I would clone first. Then you still have a backup hard drive with your old system in case anything goes bad.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Any particular cloning software recommendations?
You can use the built-in Time Machine to create a backup, and while you can boot off the created backup, you can't boot onto the OS itself until you clone it back into the new hard drive (no big deal though). If you want to make a full clone, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! for that, just use the trial version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.