MacBook Pro (2010) Update Questions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IRuby, Dec 21, 2015.

  1. IRuby macrumors newbie

    IRuby

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2015
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #1
    Hello
    Looking for advice on how to proceed with an upgrade on the following:
    MacBook Pro (2010) 7,1
    2.4 GHz
    4G 1067 DDR3
    OSX 10.6.8

    This computer is working well enough, albeit slowing a bit (housekeeping?) What is prompting the upgrade starts with a new camera (Canon 7Dmk2) which necessitates an upgrade of Adobe Lightroom since LR3 does not support the camera. The new Lightroom (LR6) requires OSX 10.8 as a minimum which I don't currently have. As a result I'm looking at an OSX upgrade and reading reviews on the various (newer) OS versions the most current (2) haven't sounded so good. I currently use Mavericks on my IMAC and really have no troubles with it, so would like to load this onto the MBP. At the same time, with SSD prices what they are, I'd replace the current 250G HD with a Samsung 850EVO (this will be large enough for what I do).

    First, I realize the advice out there regarding obtaining OSs not retrieved from Apple, which I have downloaded (Mavericks). Assume I have everything that I need backed up and am not afraid of losing anything on the laptop. Is wanting to install Mavericks vs. the current offering misguided?

    Next, how would I proceed making the switch, since I assume this wouldn't be a clone? Do I first format the new SSD, load the OS (mavericks) and then copy the HD contents over?

    I am by no means an expert with computers, though I think above the average user, FWIW.

    Thanks for any help...

    Bob
     
  2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #2
    The SSD is the best upgrade you'll ever do to any computer. I always keep my OS up to date where I can because they are just more secure as time goes on.
    Mavericks is a fine OS though so by all means go for it, if you decide to go newer then straight to El Capitan over Yosemite in my opinion.

    To be honest you could just copy the whole system accross to the SSD and install it if you wanted.
     
  3. IRuby thread starter macrumors newbie

    IRuby

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2015
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #3
    I can be convinced to go with El Capitan, if it isn't likely to give me grief. So what then, would be the correct order to make the changes? Perform the clone to the SSD, then upgrade the OS? Same question, if I'd prefer to attempt using Mavericks...
     
  4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #4
    Either way you can update first or second. If you've got a good back up why not upgrade and try it out before you swap over to the SSD??

    Also be very gentle with the SATA cable when swapping Hard drives the ones in that vintage are notoriously easy to break.
     
  5. IRuby thread starter macrumors newbie

    IRuby

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2015
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #5
    Well, the SSD is a given in my mind when looking at the cost/benefit which is why I'd do it right away. Is El Capitan problematic to the point of not recommending, or is this overblown?

    Not really knowing the correct process for this, if I were to "clone" a HD this would include the OS, correct? I would like as clean an install as possible which is why it seams to me setting up the new SSD first, then transferring all data to follow...?
    This is where I'm lost.
    Also, I assume I am "buying" El Capitan - not a free upgrade, true?
     
  6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #6
    I haven't had any issues with any of the OSX releases, although I didn't particularly like 10.7. I find that no matter how good of a OS Apple releases, someone will find nits to pick.

    If you use time machine this process is pretty easy.

    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

    OS X 10.9, 10.10 and 10.11 have all been free upgrades.
     
  7. IRuby thread starter macrumors newbie

    IRuby

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2015
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #7
    Thank You kindly for the guidance, Samuel & T5.
     
  8. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2012
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    #8
    I also am having no issues with El Capitan and Love it. Also just bought 5DIII.
     
  9. IRuby thread starter macrumors newbie

    IRuby

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2015
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #9
    Thanks - I'll think I'll take a chance and go for it.
    5DIII would be a great pairing to the 7DII - maybe someday.
     
  10. kevink2 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2008
    #10
    I would clone first. Then you still have a backup hard drive with your old system in case anything goes bad.
     
  11. greywolfe macrumors member

    greywolfe

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2012
    Location:
    Great Lakes Region of US
    #11
    +1 for cloning first.
     
  12. IRuby thread starter macrumors newbie

    IRuby

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2015
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #12
    Any particular cloning software recommendations?
     
  13. garirry macrumors 68000

    garirry

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2013
    Location:
    Canada is my city
    #13
    You can use the built-in Time Machine to create a backup, and while you can boot off the created backup, you can't boot onto the OS itself until you clone it back into the new hard drive (no big deal though). If you want to make a full clone, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! for that, just use the trial version.
     
  14. IRuby thread starter macrumors newbie

    IRuby

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2015
    Location:
    Wisconsin

Share This Page