MacBook Pro 2011 128 SSD and capacity usage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnywalker1989, Jun 4, 2011.

1. johnywalker1989, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

johnywalker1989 macrumors regular

Hi.

1)I bought the 2011 MacBook Pro with 128 Apple SSD. I just want to know cause i don't remember. The first time you will open the Mac how much capacity OS X take? I remember to have free 100Gigs but i am not sure.

2)A good SSD space monitor programm please to know how many space everything uses.

3)Now i downloaded xCode 4 and the Developer folder takes 10gigs and i must have the Install xCode.app for making automatic updates and takes 5gigs with no reason to exist.

This is so stupid from Apple right? To not be able to delete the 5gigs of Install xCode.app for just making updates. Right?

Is this happening with every app i downloading or the installation file deleted automatically?

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i mean, you made the decision to go with a 128gb ssd, knowing that it wouldn't be a lot of space. not suggesting that your usage exceeds such, but it seems like you might be pressed if you are being so calculating with these installs. os x is about 7 or 8gb. i may be misinterpreting your second point/question but are you trying to determine how much space is left on your storage? just look at the bottom of the finder window. sorry if that's not what you are looking for.

3. johnywalker1989 thread starter macrumors regular

I edited the first post for better understanding

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

use grand perspective to see how much space each file is using.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

DaisyDisk and OmniDiskSweeper are good.

6. johnywalker1989 thread starter macrumors regular

7. nickcao, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2017

nickcao macrumors member

the 1st time i turn on my mbp, mac osx used 16g ish, the hd got 121g ish in total. so u get like 121-16=105g free space when u 1st time turn on ur mac. aft i finish installed all app i need still have 40g free to use

8. johnywalker1989 thread starter macrumors regular

You have 128 SSD? as i remember me too had 121Gigs and 100+ free. in the beginning

9. nickcao, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2017

nickcao macrumors member

yes i do. its enough for me for now working with a 1tb usb2 hd.

10. JR1993 macrumors regular

I have a question if you dont mind:

I plan on getting a 120GB SSD with my only concern being storage. On the SSD I would have OS X, MS Office, Counter Strike Source, COD4 and Matlab (which is 4GB), and a few random apps

I wondered how you organise what you have on your drives, as I have only ever used 1 drive. ie, do you have all programs/apps on the SSD, then all files and media on HDD?

I hope you understand what I mean haha

11. nickcao macrumors member

err i think i get wat u mean. u have to keep all ur programs in the ssd, otherwise u lost the speed(which is the main purpose to use a ssd) then u also could keep some musics(maybe all, depends on how much u have) and other small documents in the ssd,. Put movies, documents save files ect which u wont use daily in another usb2/FW800 HDD.

12. JR1993 macrumors regular

I think I should be ok with 120GB. I dont have a lot of music and no movies currently, but im at home so it is easy. When im at university, I would have movies, probably on an external HDD.

I think my best bet is to use the MBP for about 2/3 weeks, install what i need to, then see how much space I have used.

I am currently a PC user, so I have no idea what OS X uses, and how many apps i will download.