Macbook Pro 2011 15" 16GB RAM Kernel Panics (Help)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -greedy-, Mar 29, 2012.

1. -greedy- macrumors newbie

Alright I did the 16 GB Ram upgrade, and every couple days I am getting a kernel panic, what can I do about this?

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Take the new RAM out and see if you still get the panics. It's probably bad RAM.

3. simsaladimbamba

4. -greedy- thread starter macrumors newbie

I had them when I first installed my 8GB of Ram as well, but they went away after a month or so without me doing anything. I know it sounds strange but is it possible the machine will adapt to the 16 gb RAM the same way it did with the 8 gigs?

5. -greedy- thread starter macrumors newbie

still getting them. did all possible fixes, guess i just got bad ram? its just strange it did this when i upgraded to 8 and stopped after awhile.

6. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Sorry to bring you bad news but I'm sure it is bad ram. I have done two upgrades for friends in the past two weeks and I had the exact same situation.

I did not remove the modules but I did boot Hiren's BootCD and ran memtest+ on both machines. After a few hours on the first one the memory started to test bad. The other was a bit quicker.

The owners each RMA'd the ram for new. We put the replacements in and they ran without a problem. Both memtest+ for 24 hours as well as just using the machines. No errors detected by memtest+ and the KPs went away.

I hope this helps!

-P

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Only one more thing here. When I upgraded mynimac to 16GB, I found that it requires a lot mother effort than you migh think to properly seat the new modules. I too had kernel panics, and I removed the new ram and reseated it until I heard a loud click. Problem solved.

If that fails to correct the issue then bad RAM is very likely the culprit.