macbook pro 2011 17'' SLOW?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by temen, May 9, 2011.

1. temen macrumors member

Hi,

First impression after receiving new macbook was "Whoa! That's Im talking about".
    but after few days.. Sure, it's faster. But it hands up on some basic jobs.
    Now I have running: iterm 4 tabs, chrome 12 tabs, itunes (not playing aything), mail, netbeans, timetracker, mucommander, adium and software update. Well, in the background nginx + php-fpm.
    When Im looking at istat - cpu one time exceed 10% usage - when I was compiling php. At the normal work it's always 5-10%.
    Ram - from 4gb I have usually 500mb free, sometimes 100, sometimes 1gb..

And it freezes. I hate seeing beach ball on computer on which I spend 2500euros. It's just doesn't sounds fair, especially when Im not doing any video/audio editing or other high usage processes.

There's any way to, well, collect data, statistics and check why? Maybe it's ram, have too small free and osx is opening swap, or.. don't know.

Help.. please?:confused:

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

sounds like you're running out of RAM when you have all that stuff open. Bump it up to 8GB and I don't think you'll see Mr. Beachball for a while.

3. temen thread starter macrumors member

One more question - I always see 700-1400mb ram "inactive" as istat shows. Im assuming it's amount of ram keeping some informations "just in case" but if needed can be releases. So my normal free ram + 700-1400mb - I shoudn't be out of ram?
    Im asking because Im planning to order ram after 2 weeks and now Im wondering if this will be the best upgrade choice.

4. temen thread starter macrumors member

5. simsaladimbamba

I gave it for you to verify your assumption.
    I could have just wrote YES I guess.

6. temen thread starter macrumors member

Erm. Sorry. Thanks. :)

7. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

It's the disk and OSX. Most likely. I had similar reaction to my $2499 17". I upgraded the RAM and it got better but still not $2499 good. Then I tried out Windows 7 on it to rule out the OS - much better - I swear. But I needed to have a UNIXy OS and so put a SSD in place of Optical Drive and installed OSX there - only time I see beach balls is when I attach my USB/FW disks and they go to sleep - whole thing will freeze for seconds while the disk wakes up from sleep.

Fact is OS X sucks now a days to be honest. Too much lipstick too little flesh if you catch my drift ;)

8. TenderBranson macrumors member

8gb of Ram will make more of a difference than you'd think

9. temen thread starter macrumors member

Eh.
    Well, since windows doesn't have any real console, posix and unix roots and linux doesn't have any real usability os x is the only option for me ;)
    However good to know. so if I will realize my plan and buy 8gb of ram after 2 weeks and ssd after month or two I should stop experiencing this annoing ball. Good enough ;)
    Thanks.:)