Macbook pro 2011 A1286

Danny_t92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
Hi,

Im currently in the process of upgrading my battery, RAM and HHD to an SSD in my 15inch 2011 Macbook Pro. As im doing this i was thinking about also replacing the upper housing and back case as its looking a bit scrached and dented. Does anyone know of a video tutorial or could provide info on how to remove screen and attach to new top case (palm rest) and how to move all parts to new housing?

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I personally would not spend a lot of money on the 2011 15" Pro as this model has a known hardware issue with the Radeon GPU and was the subject of an extended warranty replacement program which has ended.

Reactions: Painter2002

Danny_t92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
I personally would not spend a lot of money on the 2011 15" Pro as this model has a known hardware issue with the Radeon GPU and was the subject of an extended warranty replacement program which has ended.

Hi,

Yes that did happen to me roughly 4 years ago and apple replaced the part free of charge. Is this likely to happen again to the GPU?

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi,

Yes that did happen to me roughly 4 years ago and apple replaced the part free of charge. Is this likely to happen again to the GPU?
Under the repair program, apple replaced the logic board with another logic board that uses the same Radeon chip so I say there is a good chance it will happen again unless the MacBook spends most of its time using the integrated GPU.

Danny_t92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
Under the repair program, apple replaced the logic board with another logic board that uses the same Radeon chip so I say there is a good chance it will happen again unless the MacBook spends most of its time using the integrated GPU.
If the GPU were to become faulty again is there any compatible parts it could be replaced with without this hardware issue. Or would you just suggest investing in a new machine.

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If the GPU were to become faulty again is there any compatible parts it could be replaced with without this hardware issue. Or would you just suggest investing in a new machine.
The only way to fix it would be to replace the you which is a very expensive repair or replace the logic board which world be cheaper.

I had a late 2011 15" with a failed GPU. I took it to my local repair guy who replaced the GPU with an updated revision of the chip that should give many years of service. I had this done about 1.75 years ago and it's still running with no issues. If it were to fail today, I would scrap it.

People with the same MacBook have been able to disable the Radeon gpu in order to continue using the machine: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/force-2011-macbook-pro-8-2-with-failed-amd-gpu-to-always-use-intel-integrated-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/page-96#post-27130985

Danny_t92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
The only way to fix it would be to replace the you which is a very expensive repair or replace the logic board which world be cheaper.

I had a late 2011 15" with a failed GPU. I took it to my local repair guy who replaced the GPU with an updated revision of the chip that should give many years of service. I had this done about 1.75 years ago and it's still running with no issues. If it were to fail today, I would scrap it.

People with the same MacBook have been able to disable the Radeon gpu in order to continue using the machine: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/force-2011-macbook-pro-8-2-with-failed-amd-gpu-to-always-use-intel-integrated-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/page-96#post-27130985
Thanks for the info! I may do that depending on if and when the radeon gpd failt occurs again.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I really wouldn’t waste the time either investing in that model year computer. Not only are you subject to further GPU issues, it is very much an underpowered machine in comparison to what’s available now.

If you don’t want to spend top dollar on the newest model, and don’t care as much about power, I’d suggest selling what you have and getting a refurbished 2015 MBP from Apples refurb site. Or used from some other trustworthy third party site. It’s really not worth investing any more money into a 8 year old machine that’s at risk for further failure... money pit is my mind wants me to type.