Macbook pro 2011 booting win7 from usb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Edycal, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Edycal macrumors newbie

Is this really possible at all? Im running lion os and i've looked on the web for solutions such as using Refit to make the usb drive bootable and it works but when i select the win7 option i get a black screen saying no boot disk in drive; or something similar.

Might this be a corrupted USB drive or this really isn't possible with the new macbook pro's or lion os.

Much thanks, Ed.

2. christeeezy macrumors member

I'm someone who has tried to do this exact thing. I did tons of research, and bottom line, it's not possible. I've tried Refit as well and got the same results. I've also used a USB superdrive and still no luck. I think it's just an issue regarding the whole USB aspect. SD card booting doesn't work either due to it being on the USB bus.

Don't ask me how owners with MBA's have done it, I haven't found any helpful info regarding that either. Sorry

3. Edycal thread starter macrumors newbie

No problem, thanks for the input. But is there any other way i can install Windows 7 on this laptop? I have a legit cd key from my university Microsoft alliance program and the respective downloaded windows 7 iso file. Is my only option then to get a DVD to burn the iso file to and then boot from that?

Ed.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Windows 7 doesnt recognize USB while in installation mode.
    So the answer is not possible.

5. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

Yup. DVD burning is the way to go.
    As a side note; there exist Windows versions which you can boot from USB. They're called Windows Embedded and aren't that common.
    Some links:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/evaluate/windows-embedded-standard-7.aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb499354(v=winembedded.51).aspx

6. Edycal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input but i managed to drag myself out of my house under scorching heat to buy some DVD-R's so hopefully it should be a clean install, thanks for clearing the issue. Ed.