Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tehbluecruiser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
As soon as I start my mac, I can hear the fan. The cpu is only about 35 degrees, and the fan is hitting about 1995-2000 rpm. Why is this?

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
As soon as I start my mac, I can hear the fan. The cpu is only about 35 degrees, and the fan is hitting about 1995-2000 rpm. Why is this?

That is the default speed. If you can actually hear your fans when they are going 2000rpm there might be something wrong with your computer. I mean you have to try to hear them in order to.

Can you name one computer that has quieter fans?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Could also be the hard drive. Some hard drives(especially 7200rpm ones) make a constant whooshing sound that sounds just like a fan.

Freddy1765

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Isn't there any software for OS X similar to SpeedFan?
Would be pretty easy to test and see if it is the fan by reducing the speed.. and if it's only 35C anyway, there's no point in not reducing rpm a bit.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Isn't there any software for OS X similar to SpeedFan?
Would be pretty easy to test and see if it is the fan by reducing the speed.. and if it's only 35C anyway, there's no point in not reducing rpm a bit.

smcFanControl
2000RPM is the minimum speed.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
That is the default speed. If you can actually hear your fans when they are going 2000rpm there might be something wrong with your computer. I mean you have to try to hear them in order to.

Can you name one computer that has quieter fans?

No? That's the problem, so many uninformed people here spreading rumors.

I can hear mine at 2k in a quiet room; if you AREN'T DEAF you can hear them in a quiet room as well.

I love it when people jump the shark and assume there's a problem because they don't have the same results in relation to something like sound.

But get SMCfancontrol. Have it, love it. Shows temperature of cores and fan speed; I have the default (system control), 4k, and 6k settings that I switch between depending on what I do.

tehbluecruiser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
No theres no disk in the drive, and I can only hear the hard drive if I put my ear against it. I just thought it was weird that I hadn't noticed this noise before. Its quiet, but audible, like a slight hum coming from the back of it. But it is kinda strange.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
No theres no disk in the drive, and I can only hear the hard drive if I put my ear against it. I just thought it was weird that I hadn't noticed this noise before. Its quiet, but audible, like a slight hum coming from the back of it. But it is kinda strange.

Get SMC fan control. Turn the fans up to 4k or 6k. Put your ear there. Then turn them back down to 2k(default) that should give you an idea if it's the fan or not (due to sound)

You could look at pictures and see what exactly is under there, at that point, or take the bottom plate off yourself and see.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
No? That's the problem, so many uninformed people here spreading rumors.

I can hear mine at 2k in a quiet room; if you AREN'T DEAF you can hear them in a quiet room as well.

I love it when people jump the shark and assume there's a problem because they don't have the same results in relation to something like sound.
True I can hear them too. But there are also loads of people who cannot distinguish between the HDD sound and the fans and you cannot hear the fans if an HDD is running because that one is a lot louder.
You can only hear the 2000rpm fans if you run of an SSD or the HDD sleeps at the moment, yet many people hear the HDD and think it is the fans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.