Macbook Pro 2011 Fan Speed Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BalaBoom, Jun 1, 2011.

1. BalaBoom macrumors newbie

Hi, My 2011 15" Macbook pro's default fan speed always maintains a constant RPM of 2000 whether the temperature is at 50C or 90C. The fans do not kick in automatically when the temperature goes up. I have to manually control the fan speed in order to maintain a comfortable temperature of 50 to 60C. If I don't, the laptop gets really hot on the left side near the power plug. It might have something to do with my istats menu. Right now it's maintaining a temperature of 58C with 6950m on and using firefox. Is this normal? What is going on?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

The fans should stay at 2000 RPM up to 55C, and then they should start to rev up. As soon as my CPU hits 65, the fans go up to 3500 RPM, and when it hits 80 the fans max out at 6000 RPM. Maybe there's something wrong with your temperature sensor? And the computer is supposed to get hot around the power plug and the left side of the case in general. That's where all of the heavy duty processing hardware is located.

4. BalaBoom thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a way for the computer to automatically maintain the temperature at 50C because at temperature above 50C the laptop gets very uncomfortable to touch especially during the summer.

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I don't know... I have not used any fan control apps for OS X, but I would imagine that there would be some kind of temperature regulating option in at least one of those apps...

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Upon switching to the Unibody models, Apple's fan throttling was much less aggressive than it was in the past.

You can use SMCFanControl but that is going to contribute a lot to the noise. Apple's notebooks get rather hot, such is life.