macbook pro 2011 freeze and awful noise!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fil3333, Apr 11, 2011.

1. fil3333 macrumors member

hi,
    i experienced very strange behaviour of my macbook pro 2.2 i7 lately. its one month old and it freezed the first time after two weeks, then second time about one week later. impotant to say, one time it was under heavy load and second time it was just safari.... however what happened two days before i never experienced before! my macbook pro suddenly freezed accompanied with an awful (unbelievable) loud sound! only comparison i have is the sound of a fax machine but much much louder and defenitely much worse! i had to do a hard reset, then restart after 5 minutes same issue again and again. i was pretty sure this has to be a hardware issue..... and was preparing for sending it back to apple.
    however i did a (save) restart holding down the shift key and repaired the disk preferences and since two days the mac is running without any issues... even under heavy load. so now i think maybe its a software issue again ?! what do you think?
    i have installed 10.6.7....
    do you think its possible a bad ram modul can cause somthing like that? i've installed 8gb 3rd party ram because i use the 4gb apple ram for my wifes macbook.
    here are two pix how my screen looked after freezing.....
    best regards

Attached Files:

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Ouch. Run the hardware test to see. (hold D on boot). It very well could be the RAM, videocard, or something else.

3. hammie14 macrumors regular

hammie14

I had the same problem with my new 2011 i7 2.3 and apple told me it was the video card, was replaced no questions asked!

when i spoke to applecare they told me they already heard there maybe a video card error!

My replacement MBP is fine!

4. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

My old 2007 MBP would freeze and make the terrible noise I think you're talking about. It had one of the faulty 8600m chips so you may very well have a bad gpu. I would get it repaired or replaced if I were you.

5. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

The sound you heard, was it a loud beeping noise emanating from the logicboard rather than the speakers?

My first MBP had this problem too, when I did two-finger scrolling on Windows whilst under "heavy load" (although I wouldn't call 12 tabs of chrome open and 4 of firefox heavy) it would beep in a worrying manner.

The one I have now is working marvellously so I think there are a few duds out there, alas.

6. fil3333 thread starter macrumors member

hardware test was good (the fast one), the detailed one is running right now...
    thanks for the info hammie and viper, i guess thats what i will do.... :(
    no not beeping it was a really heavy noise, its just hard to discribe. i didnt even know that any notebook can produce such noise without external speakers. it was (at least felt) much much louder than the built in speakers.

7. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

lol sounds like demonic possession.

What you need is an old priest and a young priest

8. fil3333 thread starter macrumors member

lol ...i thought about the matrix and agent smith is coming to visit me... :cool:

9. worshiper28 macrumors newbie

2008 Macbook loud screaching noise

I just recently upgraded my ram as well to 6 gb (1x4) (1x2) and when ever i'm on worldstarhiphop or youtube.com watching videos.. that's when it acts up.. I how did you fix your issue?

----------

Whenever i go on youtube or worldstarhiphop.com to watch vids my macbook will run fine at first and all of a sudden out no where.. will FREEZE and make this loud screeching noise. Any other website so far is fine. I recently upgraded the ram on my mac to 6GB , and that's the only change I made to it before this issue.

I have the late 2008 Macbook White..

PLEASE HELP.. thanks

10. geedsen macrumors newbie