Macbook Pro 2011 GPU Panic

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msjaber10, Feb 19, 2016.

1. msjaber10 macrumors newbie

msjaber10

I have Macbook Pro 2011 early, and it has the GPU panic problem which Apple has launched a program to fix the affected machines. http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

I took my Mac to an authorized service center and they run the VST. The thing is that my Mac has passed through the VST but it failed when they run the logic-board test. And Apple has covered the VST problem not the logic-board itself.

The service center said that I have to pay 700$ to replace the logic-board.

I'm wondering is this the end of my case? The problem with my Mac should be covered! The Mac has GPU panic, it restarts suddenly, whenever the Mac switches from the integrated Intel gpu to the AMD gpu, it panics! And I have nothing to do with that.

Have you experienced anything like that? What should I do?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Incredible incompetence from them. Sort of like HP technicians on the phone, where if a system passes the diagnostics then as far as they're concerned, there's not a problem. This stuff about the LB not being covered is rubbish, because if the VST failed they'd be replacing the Logic Board anyway.

Go to a different Apple Authorised Repair Centre if you can. Failing that, complain. Anybody who sees that it panics on the dGPU knows that it's an issue with the graphics cards. If they're trying to charge you because something didn't fail on their diagnostic test, they're pretty jobsworth.

Where are you based and which repair centre did you go to?

3. msjaber10 thread starter macrumors newbie

msjaber10

I'm really depressed for what's going on. As this guy said here: according to reports, some units may pass the test, and yet still be deemed eligible for repair under the program. I should be under the warranty.

I'm in Jordan, Amman.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

Try a different AASP, or complain sternly to the one you were at.

Else, call AppleCare and explain the whole situation to them. They'll set your service centre straight, or accept the machine for repair themselves.

5. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

My 2011 17" passed all the tests, but could not boot past the grey screen.

I paid $320 for the flat rate all inclusive repair, and later Apple launched the repair program and I got a refund.

Try taking it to another shop, and if all else fails go for the flat rate $320 repair.

6. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

AFAIK the flat rate repair is a US only thing, not available to most of the world, sadly.