MacBook pro 2011, graphical Glitches

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DevionNL, Jan 11, 2014.

1. DevionNL macrumors newbie

Goodday,

one month ago I upgraded the harddrive of someone I know. I upgraded the stock 320gb Mac harddrive (that came with his basemodel 2011 '13 inch macbook pro) with a Samsung 840EVO 500gb SSD. However he is experiencing problems that did not exist before this 'operation'. His Safari, photoshop and Mac GUI elements are glitching. At first the computer would also shutdown rather slow. The glitching is as follows:

I go to google (via chrome), and search for: New York(Not that I live in NY but this was the first thing that came up ;) ). Then I select the option to only see images of 20 megapixels. I copy paste this image into word. Nothing is wrong here:

Image: https://imageshack.com/i/16pp09j

After that I paste the image into photoshop Elements (from Chrome):

Image: https://imageshack.com/i/13hbjaj

Then I would paste the url of the image into Safari and I get this:

https://imageshack.com/i/gitscnj

I'm not sure why this is happening, I have looked for the rights on the harddrive, if there were any 'faults' and so on. Nothing came up. When I try to run a cinebench benchmark the OpenGL benchmark fails.

I'm not sure what I can do but maybe somebody has got an idea how i can fix this.. :(

The way I installed the harddrive was:
    1. Make a bootable usb for mountain lion.
    2. Install the SSD.
    3. Insert the USB and boot from it.
    4. Install Mountain Lion via internet.
    5. When finished but all his files and programs back via USB from the original HDD.
    6. Update to Mavericks.
    7. Enjoy the speed..

I have searched for this issue but nothing came up.. :( You guys are my last resort.. Thanks in advance. And sorry for my english :)

EDIT: Image links

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Since you had a bootable USB for Mountain Lion, why and how did you install it "via Internet" ??

After you installed ML, did you use Disk Utility to check / repair the disk, and to repair the permissions ?

3. DevionNL thread starter macrumors newbie

The mountain lion recovery disks downloads a new install from the internet. So you don't need the CD or ISO to reinstall your OS. I did check the permissions but this was after he started to encounter problems...

Apple page of the recovery disk assistant: here

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

I know how the Recovery tools work ;)

I thought you had made a bootable Installer for Mountain Lion, hence my question.

Did you check / repair the disk ? (not the permissions).

5. DevionNL thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, then I misunderstood your question. Apologies.

Yes I did, there were some errors for printer drivers and such. But it was able to fix all of those. Still there are problems regarding the graphics...

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

In Disk Utility, you can check / repair the permissions AND check / repair the disk.

Printer drivers is about permissions.

So I understand that you checked / repaired the permissions.

But did you also check /repair the disk (bottom RIGHT corner in Disk Utility / First Aid).

See here (web capture) : http://hpics.li/be39939

7. DevionNL thread starter macrumors newbie

I have done both now, still no succes. I have put in a new SSD (a spare) and am going to verify the cr*p:mad: out of that disk and then but the settings/programs/files on the new one from the 'old' SSD.:p

8. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

If you still have the old 320 Go hard drive and if it has not been erased, you could put it in an external USB enclosure (or use a SATA to USB cable), boot up from it, in order to check if all runs fine (no graphics issues).

If you had the same graphics issues, then you would know that the SSD is not the culprit.

9. DevionNL thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a good tip, I will try that tomorrow since I won't see him untill then! Thanks for your help so far :)