Macbook Pro (2011) - Grinding/Clicking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gala, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Gala, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

Gala macrumors regular

I have noticed that once every 6-7 weeks or so I hear a weird noise coming from the area of the disc drive. It sounds like it starts up, clicks, and then stops. It last maybe 2-3 seconds. Is this something I should be worried about? Should I bring it by Apple? I've been figuring that since it only happens randomly they won't be able to check anything.

Also, how hot the Macbook Pro get? Sometimes I feel like it's smoking hot if I use it on my lap. To the point that if its on my skin I usually put something under it.

2. billycuth macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a failing hard drive. I assume you have a traditional spinning disk, right?

3. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Back up your data and take it in. That thing's gonna fall apart.

4. Gala thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but the sounds seem to come from the CD drive area in the back right of the computer. Man, I'm glad I brought this up I just thought it was normal. How could I have prevented this for the future.

5. billycuth macrumors 6502a

A click is generally a hard drive starting to fail. You can't prevent it, it's one of the weaknesses of traditional hard drives. It sucks.

I don't know my way around macs enough yet, so as far as the anatomy and knowing where all the parts are, I don't know. I wouldn't worry about where the sound is coming from though. That distinct click noise is hard drive.

6. Gala thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot I'll bring it in ASAP. Is this something that they give me a refurbed computer for or do they switch the hard drive out?

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Waitdaminute.

So u have this machine for a year and this *just* started to happen? OK.

Because if u just got the notebook, this could be normal. Some HD goes into a self-calibration mode. This is a very soft chirp, audible only if ur in a quiet room and the notebook's fan hasn't come on.

8. Gala thread starter macrumors regular

It isn't a soft chirp. It sounds like a loud grind/stop/release that you can hear if the TV is on. I researched some stuff on my own and it doesn't sound like the "click of death".

I read that there is a mechanism that locks the hard drive when the computer is moved or tilted to prevent the hard drive from getting scratch. The sound it makes sounds more like what I would expect this to sound like. I have a Genius appointment for next Wed and I'm going to get it checked out just to be sure, considering I didn't get the Apple Care and my year is almost up.