Macbook Pro 2011 heat and noise - SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macboy....122, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Macboy....122, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

Macboy....122 macrumors newbie

Hey you all,

I'm going to buy my first laptop from apple, why i need to be 100% sure about heat and noise because i experienced that in my younger days with a HP laptop, which is why i'm looking for as less heat as possible. Although it's got to be an Apple product. Anyhow, how warm does this thing get? What if you have it on your bed, would it heat up to much?

I'm going to use it for study and when i'm not at home, where i've an iMac. All i actually care about is build quality, heat and noise, transportability, future proofed hardware, and battery. So i actually considering to put an SSD in the new i5 13" pro-model. Would it help against heat and noise, which i've heard is pretty noticeable in the new line? Please give me some advice, i'm a little confused.

/Macboy....122

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Don't use the computer under any significant load on a surface such as a bed where the rear vent may be blocked. It's fine to use it for web-browsing, YouTube, watching movies, etc. on a bed since those tasks don't strain the system and therefore don't noticeably increase heat output. It will get warm when idle although not uncomfortably so, but too hot for your lap when stressed.

The hard drive is not a significant producer of heat so changing to an SSD won't really sway things much in either direction. It will decrease noise to a degree, but under load the noise of the fans drowns out the noise of the hard drive and therefore won't make much of an impact except for casual usage like what I described in the first paragraph above. It will increase all-around performance drastically though, which is why I recommend getting one (either from Apple or a 3rd-party) if you can budget it and survive with the reduced capacity (except at absurd price-points).

3. sdneidich macrumors member

My SSD i7 doesn't have any problems with overheating... yet!

The SSD really helps with travel, because the hard drive is quick to go to sleep, and bc no moving parts makes it harder to damage.

A bed is a bad place to compute... I do it sometimes, but it is not good for preventing heat. I recommend using it on a hard surface. You could try a product like this one: http://www.brookstone.com/sl/product/66367-e-pad-portable-laptop-desk-speakers.html
    they work well to aid heat dissipation.

But if you are only using it to browse internet or view files, then I imagine it wouldn't be necessary. If you are using it to game, then you need full fan force.

4. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

5. Macboy....122 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been searching a lot on the internet and here aswell for this topic because of my worries.

Would it be a serious problem? Can i place it on my thighs without the feeling of that i'm sitting with hot cocoa? I would like to hear some experiences with the new Pro and not only assumptions. I don't play games or do heavy work in my everyday, although i need the computer to last three years of study.(and try to follow the development.) Am I worrying to much? Should I buy the Air instead w/ an outdated processor?

I've read a lot of negative posts about the heating and fan noise issue. Is it only in few coincidence, or do the Pro-line suffering under it? And how warm does it really get? I don't request numbers but some examples and comparisons.

/MB

6. scmarcos macrumors member

I have a 13'' i7 mac bookpro 2011 and I am impressed by the very low noise and heat compared to my prevoius HP and Samsung laptop!
    Furthermore I have a traditional HDD and not an SSD...

7. Jugney macrumors member

Hi scmarcos,

Wondering if you still feel like the heat and noise are lower after having your new Macbook Pro for a couple months? I'm considering trading in my iMac and iPad for a MBP, but have read people complaining about noise and heat. So your feedback after having more time with it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jugney

8. raysmd macrumors member

mine is absolutely silent when using the integrated graphics for surfing, word processing, etc. when using processor demandins apps, then the fans kick in. it's amazing with the ssd