MacBook Pro 2011 heats up too fast?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yusukeaoki, Mar 22, 2011.

1. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Hello all,
    I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 17in 2.2GHz and installed iStat Menus 3.
    What I have noticed is is that 2011 MBP's heat up too quick?

When I start up my MBP from sleep, it starts around 80F.
    But soon as I open safari or browse through the HDD, the temperature shoots up to nearly 100F.

If I open multiple applications or play games (in my case xPlane 9) the temp just rises all the way to 140F in like 5-10min. Its not like its too hot to touch or anything but it is hot. I don't want to put it on my lap for more than 10 min.

Even when I run xPlane 9, the CPU isn't even at full power (maybe like half way for 4 physical cores and 1/10 of 4 virtual cores) and still the heat shoots up.
    Yesterday I was at a point where I got worried that my MBP was going to over heat because the temp indicator was still moving past 150F.

This may be an error on iStat but does anybody else with a 2011 MBP have the same issue?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Your temps are all completely normal. I'd even consider them low considering all of the graphics in xplane. My processor idles at 120F. The processor can withstand temps up to 210F. If the mac was overheating, it would shutdown.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

This has nothing to do with your mbp as Xplane is not overly CPU intensive.

5. yusukeaoki thread starter macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I close all applications when playing xPlane so the other application aren't bringing the heat up.
    But thank you. I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one.
    I already have downloaded 10.6.7 although I didn't have any display problems...

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It's really not necessary to close programs while playing xplane. Your temps are perfectly normal.

7. yusukeaoki thread starter macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Although 2.2GHz with only 4GB RAM might be the problem.
    I did have some lag and the memory was shooting up with heat even though I have bluetooth, start up app, etc off.

But then the heat seems to be fine:)

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

4GB of ram is plenty to run xplane and a few more apps. Dont worry about it and just use your blazing fast computer ;)

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

150˚F, is that all? :)

Mine gets up to 90˚C which is 194˚C. You'll be fine regarding the actual safety of your computer. 100˚C is normal for idle temps. Mine sits about 110˚C just idling and that's very normal.

Also RAM usage does not equal temp increases, it's because doing things with your computer uses RAM, and doing things increases the temp.