Macbook Pro 2011 - I HATE the magic trackpad.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SJMORRIS, May 15, 2011.

1. SJMORRIS, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

SJMORRIS macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

Upgraded from an older MBP to the latest and greatest, and love the laptop. But hate the fact that there is no discernable button at the bottom of the trackpad.

Why?

I tend to keep my thumb on the "button" (bottom) area of the pad and also use the two-finger right click function. They conflict all the time. I've read where some people have resorted to putting a small piece of tape over the bottom part of the trackpad to get it to ignore cursor movement there.

Is there a software solution to give me back my old-skool trackpad behaviour?

2. thelostgeek macrumors newbie

Hi,

Am not an expert on this. But i just got this application called betterTouchTool. It is really an awesome tool. Just google it and have a look at this tool. Might be of help.

~TLG

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Change your habits, it's not that hard to do. I never use my button and I have an early 2008.

4. KwanMan macrumors regular

i do exactly what you do, leave my thumb on the bottom of the trackpad. but mine doesnt see that as a two fingered gesture for some reason :s

5. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

You always have the option of using a separate mouse, I much prefer this for a variety of reasons.

6. asdf542 macrumors 6502

I had an older MBP as well and it didn't take me long to adjust. I still keep my thumb where the button used to be while using my index finger to move the cursor and add the middle finger to scroll. The only thing I had to change is I now I have to use my index and middle finger to right click with no thumb involved(although it does work while the thumb is present as well for me at least) which isn't a big deal.

7. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

Research BetterTouchTool for more functionality.

8. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

The best part is the trackpad.
    You'll love it after getting used to it. I was the same way, until my habits went away and I started to adopt the trackpad - it's the best part of the computer, by far.

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

Once I changed the settings so that I could tap instead of using the button (it is a little bit too stiff as a button) I fell in love. This is the best trackpad I have ever used by far. Finally, I feel like someone has done it right.

10. ryannazaretian, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

That's just an opinion.

For college, I sometimes need the ability to right click and move the mouse at the same time. I also have some programs that need the left and right click at the same time. Guess what, it is impossible to do that on the trackpad. I have to use a mouse to get my work done.

Why can't Apple just put two buttons, left and right, on the bottom of the trackpad? Is it that hard? Leave the multitouch, or even the push to click, but please add the let and right buttons separate from the trackpad.

So for me, it is a useless trackpad unless I'm just goofing around on the internet or writing a paper. I cannot use all of the AutoCad, LabVIEW, Mathematica, etc... features that I want. It particularly happens with 3D graphics.

11. scupking macrumors 6502a

The trackpad is the awesome!!! I can't go back to using a normal laptop with the buttons at the bottom. I just use the gestures and it makes laptop use a lot smoother then using the old fashion buttons at the bottom. You just need to get use to it. It took me a few days when I switched from a Dell laptop to my mbp back in November.

12. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Is it really that hard to get used to? I am just using tap to click on my laptops. Much easier and prevents the physical button from wearing out.

13. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

No, it is not impossible.

In Trackpad preferences under One Finger gestures enable Secondary Click (Bottom Right Corner) and you'll be able to click and hold the "right click" and move the cursor at the same time.
    [​IMG]

14. di1in macrumors regular

di1in

Even though I don;t own one myself I'd been of the belief that the best thing about apple computers is the clickpad/trackpad.. :confused:

15. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I got used to the magic trackpad and am not looking back at all. I do use a mouse when at my desk and it does help alot.

16. EightmanVT macrumors member

Agree with most here. Just give it some time and start using it - and you'll wonder why you used that archaic single button pad prior. The trackpad is fantastic - and you can do everything you need to do with one hand. I go to use my wife's MacBook - everyonce in a while and it feels so clunky with that old pad.