Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hackster

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Hi
Im about to buy a refurbished macbook pro 13" from february 2011.
It is the i5 2.3ghz model. I've been reading online, that people who recently bought the 2011 model are having issues with boot and crashes. Am i okay with this model or is it infected aswell? Thanks!

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Apple is not in the habit of making notebooks that crash. There's no indication that this crashing you're talking about is a widespread issue. I own a 2011 13'' i5 MBP and thus far had zero crashes.

check out this thread (with a poll) and see for yourself:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1146622/
88% of people report having little or no problems with their 2011 MBP models

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
you should be fine, although you have potential to encounter defects just like anyone else. buy it if it's what you want and if it has obvious problems then get it replaced.

Hackster

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Its not that i can get it replaced anytime, since i will be taking it abroad :/ how does the international warranty work?

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
there's not much i can say to you other than it most likely will not be defective or give you problems, i as just mentioning that you are not immune to such. it's a good model and you should purchase it if it's what you really want.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
While it's been my personal experience that Apple's quality has declined in recent times, they are still reasonably sound. I'm not aware of any chronic problem with the model you are interested in. The best I might offer, is to take your time and do a very close inspection upon it's arrival.

When I placed my online order for a new BTO 15" MBP, I had to send not one, but three brand new MBP's back to Apple for a variety of reasons. Some of which were huge deep scratches on the lid and the palmrest. It's really shocking that quality control would let those go through. I could understand one, getting through but three is rather absurd.

Then to add to the pain in the ass experience, is the fact that it takes awhile for them to refund your money, so in my case the total time it took from my original order, until I got a new working computer was well over 90 days.

Apple ... ya gotta love em :eek:

Hackster

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Can anyone clearify for me, what i should be expecting when buying a refurbished model? is it supposed to look brand new?

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Can anyone clearify for me, what i should be expecting when buying a refurbished model? is it supposed to look brand new?

Refurbished products are usually one of the following:
the products that were used on display
the products whose box was opened and which then were returned (even those that have never been actually used)
the products that were returned because of a problem.

Refurbished products are (or at least required to be) clean and in full working condition in order to be sold again. They cannot be sold as new products.

Refurbished items are generally thought to be cheap and poorly fixed products because of their sometimes shorter warranties.[2] However, most products have nothing wrong with them...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refurbishment_(electronics)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.