MacBook Pro 2011 Lion/SnowLeopard. Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by St3b, Feb 8, 2012.

1. St3b macrumors newbie

I have a MBP 2011 and it shipped with Lion but I found out recently that it had originally shipped with SL so i looked it up and saw that you had to create the partition on an older SL machine, update it then transfer it over to mine because i needed the proper drivers in the version of SL. I managed to do this using a desktop computer. It worked fine. I am now wanting to install Ubuntu on it but I've read that there are a bunch of complications with this and have not found a reliable way to do it.
    Is there a way to install it through my SL partition? will that work? If so, does anyone have a link to some instructions? If not, does anyone have a reliable way to do it on Lion?

thanks

2. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I've installed Ubuntu on my old MBP. It's not too difficult really, it's more a matter of making sure you install it on the right partition of the drive and installing rEFIt. I found a video on youtube explaining the process.....I suggest you search there and you'll find what you need to know.

Good luck.....Ubuntu ran like a champ on my old MBP but the truth was that I didn't really have a use for it so I uninstalled because I wanted the HD space back.

3. St3b thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply! but my issue is that it seems like you can install it on SL but not on Lion and because I'm able to run both I'm not sure whether or not it will work, I'd rather not end up getting only partway through the install to find out it won't work and then end up possibly screwing something up.
    Also thanks for the tip about youtube!