Macbook Pro 2011- New SSD hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iwhitney96, May 31, 2011.

1. iwhitney96, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

iwhitney96 macrumors newbie

I am going to buy an early 2011 Macbook Pro 13 in basic when Lion comes out. I plan to buy a 120 GB owc mercury extreme pro 6G or an ocz vertex 3 and then replace the stock hard drive with it. I have watched multiple videos on how to do the hardware replacement but what I have a question on is how to format this new hard drive and reinstall the operating system on to it. I will do this right after I open the box and turn it on to check if its working. Any suggestions on different hard drives are welcome and any problems with the two hard drives above. Also will using an anti-static wrist strap and touching the computer be enough to protect against static damage? Will Lion support Trim in non apple stock ssds? Thank you very much.

2. simsaladimbamba

After properly formatting the SSD (Solid State Disk), just follow the installation procedure.
    The following guides show you how to reinstall Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, but the installation procedure for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion might differ:
    To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, follow one of the following guides:
    Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install