MacBook Pro 2011 no autoboot from new internal SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nikey1975, Oct 11, 2011.

1. nikey1975, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

nikey1975 macrumors newbie

Hi all :cool:

I just replaced my early 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch Seagate Momentus XT with an SSD.

Everything works except initial booting, what do I mean exactly :confused:

When I power on the Macbook, a flashing question mark appears, indicating no bootable disk is found.
    But when I force it to boot from the SDD, holding the option key when powering up, I can select the SDD and boot from it.

Then everything works until I reboot again (I know, not often needed with MacOS but still). Then I have to do the same thing again.

When the original disk is connected externally via USB, it will boot automatically from this external disk too.

I have previously replaced the original 750gb 5400rpm drive with the Seagate Momentus XT and the I did not have this issue.
    I also retried cloning the disk using CCC, but same result.
    Partitioning was as always done with the disk util, with GUID partitioning scheme :rolleyes:

Also, do I need to perform the Trim hack for my Crucial M4 (firmware 0009) SSD?

Some more info ....
    OSX Lion 10.7.1 (upgraded from 10.6.8)
    SMC Version (system): 1.69f1
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
    Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B1E

2. simsaladimbamba

What does System Preferences > Startup Disk say?

3. nikey1975 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am no Mac OS X expert, not yet :) cause coming from Windows

Startup Disk shows one disk/partition, the internal SSD, partition named Macintosh SSD with Mac OS X, 10.7.1
    On the disk are actually three partitions, one for Mac OS X, one for Windows (NTFS) and one empty (Fat)

I have yet to try/perform a restore of my bootcamp partition with Winclone (modded version for Lion) ...

----------

tnx 1000x :p

your thing did the trick, learned one more new thing about Mac OS X

just one more thing, the TRIM hack, is it needed?