Macbook Pro (2011) not charging (details below). Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by khr77, Oct 3, 2012.

1. khr77
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Ok, so I purchased my MBP back in February (brand new). I have never had an issue with it until today. I plugged it in to charge when I got home today but went to move it to another plug (girlfriend watching TV while I was trying to study). It was at about 40% when I unplugged it. When I went to plug it back in, I realized that the light on the magsafe was not on nor was the battery indicator on the desktop indicating that it was charging. I tried multiple outlets, with/without the extension, restarted multiple times, everything I could think of. I've never had any damage (water or otherwise) occur. It's like it just mysteriously decided to stop working. Any advice? I'm planning on calling AppleCare first thing tomorrow.

2. PerformaGuy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

PerformaGuy

Clean the magsafe connector on both sides, also try taking to an Apple Store and borrow one of their Magsafe adapters. Could be a faulting magsafe adapter. I had this happen on a first get MacBook Air. After adapter replaced (at something like $79!) I was good to go again.

3. sweetbrat
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

It's more likely a problem with the charger than with your computer. As the previous poster said, clean the Magsafe, and if that doesn't help, take it to Apple. You're still under warranty, so you shouldn't have an issue getting things fixed.

4. Gobogie
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Gobogie

5. bbowen
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

I just had the same thing happen to me. Apple is sending a new adapter under AppleCare.

I'm hoping its the adapter and not the MBP. It's going to be a tense few days waiting for that.

I noticed a small scratch near where the MagSafe goes in. I hope if the adapter doesn't work they won't say that I frigged up the port somehow if I have to send my machine in!

Ugh.