macbook pro 2011 ocz vertex 3 ssdtemperature issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smoak888, Apr 12, 2011.

1. smoak888 macrumors newbie

so, i recently installed ocz vertex 3 into my 2011 mbp 2.3 ghz with 8 gb ram.

using istat, it says my temp for my hd is 128C. this seems to be the temp all the time....even right after boot and being idle. is this wrong?

my other temps are:
    CPU 41
    CPU heatsink 38C
    enclosure base 28C
    enclosure base 2 28C
    enclosure base 3 26C
    GPU 40C
    GPU diode 38C

any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. c7aea macrumors regular

As much as I am not a fan of the overload of all these temp questions. In your case something doesn't seem right that would be like 262F! Put your hand on the computer Over the drive at that temp it would be noticeably hotter. My guess is it is just reporting the wrong temp. Try another program to check.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's wrong and it's normal: SSD temp

4. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

sounds extremely high. Maybe something is messed up? My Vertex 2 is at 30C and my WD Black 750GB is 31C right now.

CPU is at 52 and GPU at 49C, dedicated on.

5. HoseB-OH macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue as the OP on a 2011 MBP 15 2.2. I replaced the Super Drive with the SSD. My other temps are a bit higher (I suspect from running closed lid) but the SSD temp reading is high (128c). My fans also appear to be on a hair trigger and go from quiet to jet power under any load. The SSD is cool to the touch, so the reading is false. My concern is the false reading on the SSD may be confusing the SMC about the real heat state. I have tried resetting the SMC but the overreacting fans still persist. If this keep up I'm going to have to put a sound enclosure around the laptop because the fan noise is too high to work around.