Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neuroshock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I just browsed through:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1109471/

Well, I recently bought the high end 15" macbook pro. I had to reformat the disc and reinstall the operating system due to some problems I run into. Before I reformated, my fans never run at full speed and the temperature was definitely never hot to the touch if under heavy load. So, when I reinstalled the OS, i had firefox open (the page was google.com) when I clicked on photobooth... after 5secs or so (no more than 10 secs) the fans started running at full speed(very loud), the machine was extremely hot to the touch.. not to mention the bottom part of the laptop.
Another instance was when I had: terminal, firefox (no flash was playing) and skype (video call) .... I had the machine on my lap, my machine started gradually to turn so hot in a matter of minutes (2 or 3 minutes tops) .... it actually burnt my skin (patches of redness)...... all these is very strange, because I don't recall running into temperature problems or fan problems running the exact applications before I reinstalled mac os.

Which makes me to think that it might have something to do with the efi update 2.1 that was rolled out earlier. By that I mean, after I had a clean install of the OS .. i didn't receive the efi firmware update ... or any firmware update .... all other updates were installed.

Should I download the efi update 2.1 from the apples website?
Any thoughts?

Update: It appears that if I do the same as above aka have firefox. photobooth or even facetime running at the same time, with "automatic graphics switching" disabled, the temperature doesnt get as high as before .. i need to do more testing though.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Install iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your temps, among other things.

Your Mac is most likely not overheating. Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). Your temps and fan speeds are most likely well within the normal operating range.

neuroshock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Install iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your temps, among other things.

Your Mac is most likely not overheating. Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). Your temps and fan speeds are most likely well within the normal operating range.

Thanks for the tip. I installed iStat pro, and when I have only firefox (flash playing) the temperature ranges anywhere from mid 60 degrees celsius to as high as 78 or 80 degrees celsius. It feels really hot on my lap ... before I reinstalled, the temperature didnt feel this hot at all, specially since I only have firefox running .. can you confirm if this is normal?

I've attached a couple of screenshots to show the gradual growth of the temperature. The average is roughly 68ish degrees celsius

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 4.11.29 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 4.11.29 PM.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,735
  • Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 4.14.22 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 4.14.22 PM.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,754
  • Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 4.14.32 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 4.14.32 PM.png
    15 KB · Views: 1,763

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the tip. I installed iStat pro, and when I have only firefox (flash playing) the temperature ranges anywhere from mid 60 degrees celsius to as high as 78 or 80 degrees celsius. It feels really hot on my lap ... before I reinstalled, the temperature didnt feel this hot at all, specially since I only have firefox running .. can you confirm if this is normal?
Yes, quite normal.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
It looks normal to me. My temps are similar, and I'm running Firefox and streaming flash video. Even though the temps are the same, my case isn't hot though (warm, yes, but not hot). You said you were burnt and had skin redness, but iStat shows your case base to be in the 30's (*C). Is this as hot as it gets?

neuroshock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
It looks normal to me. My temps are similar, and I'm running Firefox and streaming flash video. Even though the temps are the same, my case isn't hot though (warm, yes, but not hot). You said you were burnt and had skin redness, but iStat shows your case base to be in the 30's (*C). Is this as hot as it gets?

If running only said apps then yup. It get way higher and the fans go crazy when im running for instance skype(which is very strange) or when I'm playing a game like minecraft or portal 2 .

TomLopez

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
France

I've attached a couple of screenshots to show the gradual growth of the temperature. The average is roughly 68ish degrees celsius

This seems quite high for me. I have the same model and the average is 45°/50° with several applications opened and Safari.

Have you checked for another CPU activity (spotlight, etc...) ?

pourmood

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
screenshot20110621at904.png

Should I be worried? 87 Celsius seems a bit high. I understand that it may be my perception that it's overheating, but when I'm running flash, my 2011 MBP goes wild. I have to lay it on my desk/table or laptop tray so it doesn't burn my thighs.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011

Should I be worried? 87 Celsius seems a bit high. I understand that it may be my perception that it's overheating, but when I'm running flash, my 2011 MBP goes wild. I have to lay it on my desk/table or laptop tray so it doesn't burn my thighs.

87 isn't that bad at the upper end, but IMHO you have a big differential between the CPU temp and the rest of the computer which may mean a less-than-perfect thermal grease application.

pourmood

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
It's because I was running the flash program that usually gets my computer going for a short period of time. I don't think the rest of the components had time to "heat up".

Anyway, interesting that 87 is quite normal. My other laptops never got this hot (perhaps it's the aluminum?)

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
It's because I was running the flash program that usually gets my computer going for a short period of time. I don't think the rest of the components had time to "heat up".

Anyway, interesting that 87 is quite normal. My other laptops never got this hot (perhaps it's the aluminum?)

Your other laptops were probably twice the thickness too. Thin laptops are good looking, but suck at cooling efficiently, that's just the way it is.

neuroshock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
This seems quite high for me. I have the same model and the average is 45°/50° with several applications opened and Safari.

Have you checked for another CPU activity (spotlight, etc...) ?

yup, everything seems normal under top or activity monitor. Spotlight doesnt consume much of my cpu so I dont think it's causing much of the heat.

However, rencently i noticed that when i'm using video (either watch flash or skype) laptop gets heat up really fast. Specially for skype.
The thing is, if I'm using "screen sharing" via skype which shares my screens to other ppl, the temperatures are "normal" around 80 degrees Celsius, but when I use my webcam(facetime) it heats up and fans go crazy. I mean both are video so I don't know why the difference in CPU usage and temperature.

I'm starting to think it might be facetime related lol

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
The temps look quite normal but maybe reset your SMC (i always do this after a firmware update) in case.

Also Firefox/Chrome/Skype are resource hogs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.