MacBook pro 2011 quality issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pclogic, Mar 12, 2011.

1. pclogic macrumors newbie

I was plan to buy a MacBook pro 2011 17’ two weeks ago, until I saw the huge amount of complaint posts about the overheating issue and frequently freezing:eek: problem from apple supporting forum. Now there have been two weeks and there is still no positive feedback and solution from apple. I’m so confused about the quality of the new MacBook pro but I really need one. If I approach the MacBook before 28 of this month I can get both rebates for iPod touch and printer. Should I wait for a few weeks or what?:confused:

Here are the links for the complaint posts
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2768351&start=165&tstart=0
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2764570&tstart=0

PS: this should be highly reported in tech news to make apple aware of their products

2. MarineUAV3K macrumors newbie

MarineUAV3K

Buy It...

I just bought the 15" MacBook Pro and CTO'd (Configure-To-Order) it with the fastest available processor (2.3 GHz Quad Core i7) and everything, which is faster than the base-line 17" MBP. I've played a bunch of games (at highest graphics settings) on it and ran 3D CAD software and other engineering applications on it with no problem. The notebook did get hot when its processor and graphics were put through its paces, but this has been common for every MacBook Pro since before the aluminum unibody came out in 2008. The latest series of MBPs have been the best I've ever seen, and even though I paid quite a premium for it, I feel it was worth every penny. Unless you're willing to wait until next year for the next refresh, I highly recommend you go ahead and make the purchase.

3. nsdjoe macrumors member

Bought my 13" MBP 2.3GHz 2 weeks ago today and have been quite happy. It was definitely running hotter than I'd anticipated but after installing a program called Fan Speed and regulating the fans better it's no problem whatsoever.

4. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Many people on this forum have mentioned this, but I will reiterate. Most people post on forums because they have a problem and need help trying to fix it. For every person having significant problems with their machine, there are probably 10 more that are perfectly happy with their machine (obviously I don't have real statistics on this...just guessing). You have to take this into account when reading forums. Take the leap, if you have problems then that's what the 1 year warranty is for.

5. iZero macrumors regular

+1. I've had my 17 inch since a few days after launch. It never even approaches hot, even when taxed, and it's never froze on me once. Apple is very good about taking care of problems. If you buy, and it's got issues, you will get your money back if you return it within 14 days. And if it comes after, or even during, their warranty is as good as warranties can possibly get. You'll be satisfied by them one way or the other. Like was already said, people tend to only post when they have trouble. Do you know how many of these things get sold? :) Considering that, the posts of complaints are insignificant. I don't mean that they don't matter, I just mean, all those happy customers out there, compared to the unhappy, the number of good experiences FAR outweigh the number of bad.

6. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

Same thing happened when the 2010 MBPs were released... not a big deal, just buy one.

7. zenio macrumors 6502

It's a matter of understanding the Apple Culture.

First theirs the matter of sensitivity. Unlike manufacturers that welcome feedback, you'll notice that if one is outspoken like I am, they take offense and become very angry, defensive, aggressive and upset. It's an interesting dynamic.

There's no better place to have a unique experience than AppleLand.

I have both 2010 & 2011 MacBook Pros they each have their own characteristics. Pros & Cons like all the rest. Rather than share my experiences which includes honesty that upsets the masses, I might suggest you carefully compare specifications with other brands and remember they all use the same parts.

The primary difference is Apple Tax which raises the total price compared to others significantly. I cannot in good faith, fail to warn you of the high cost. I pay it like the rest cause we have no choice if we want the Apple Brand.

8. Manacit macrumors member

Manacit

I bought a 2011 the Sunday of the week they came out, and I have had no problems at all. I've gamed, used handbrake to covert video, which was using all of the cores to 100%, and I haven't had any problems. If there is a problem, you can easily switch it out in person, with no worries at all!

9. daphaze1 macrumors newbie

Not sure if QC has gone down. I got a DOA, then after a hard reboot, it worked, but with a damaged screen. Makes me question their QC but won't stop me from buying a replacement. My replacement will come in a few days. Kinda upset >.< and kinda happy :D Sigh.

The screen was screwed on super tight causing damage to the screen.

10. DudeMartin, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

DudeMartin macrumors regular

Many people come on this forum when they have an issue. Maybe like 2% of Apple laptop consumers have an account here. People usually don't go to forums just to complement something unless it is brought up ...

So the amount of problems is really like:

number of Apple laptop consumers
    divided by
    (number of Apple laptop consumers * .015)

11. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

A forum or newsgroup in a lot of cases is a lot like going to a hospital, you're not going to see a whole ton of perfectly healthy people, you're going to see sick people... there are many people out there who have purchased new MacBook Pros who are currently enjoying them with no issues, typically it's only those who have a problem usually say so.

12. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I say buy it right now if the MBP is needed. IMHO, it is going to be very, very rare to get a machine that is faulty. If you're that unlucky, you can always bring/send it back to Apple for an exchange/repair.

Good luck. :)

13. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

14. mark28 macrumors 68000

The freezes can be fixed with an EFI update. Some of the 2010 MBP had freezing issues too when the first got released. Then an EFI update fixed it.

So I wouldn't worry about it.

15. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Thats a lot of nonsense.

As to the same parts no...Apple uses custom designed motherboards for one thing.

16. z3cko macrumors newbie

issues really appearing, strangely no answer from apple yet

first of all hello - this is my first post on the macrumors forum.

we are two people in europe having similar issues as reported with our new MBP 15" 2.3ghz machines. my old MBP froze ONCE on me (MacBookPro6,2 core i7/2.66).

we are collecting information and urls on our blog entry; join us there!
    http://www.nanofunk.net/apple-macbo...-powerhorse-design-flaws-and-hardware-issues/

i also sent an email to macrumors yesterday, telling them about the known issues (in particular the ifixit discoveries and the crowd-reports on freezing issues) -- still no reply from macrumors.

let's make this an issue where apple has to reply to the current quality issues, by making it a page 2 macrumors story!

if anyone cares about this, please send an email to macrumors directly!

regards,
    z3cko