Macbook pro 2011 Real life battery time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NBhatti, May 5, 2011.

1. NBhatti, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011

NBhatti macrumors newbie

Hi, what is the real life battery life for the Macbook Pro 2011 15". I have been trying to get more than 2 hours. Some times 3 when firefox is closed with wireless off. Battery life still shows 98% and the machine itself is around 8 weeks old. I checked with the local apple reseller (Middle east) and they run some sort of tests and told me the battery is good.

So, trying to figure out how much battery life I should really expect. I did all sort of SMC,PRAM resets and battery calibration. I have got High Res 15" with 8 GB of RAM. Also running C300 SSD.

Please share your experience with the model you have and how old your model is.

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your battery life is dependent on many factors, including screen brightness, WiFi, bluetooth, apps/processes/widgets running, etc. PRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues, so that won't help. Make sure you've properly calibrated, as many are misinformed about the proper procedure. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    Pay special attention to the section: BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE

3. NBhatti thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info GGJstudios. To be on safe side, I did a fresh install with no applications or other junk installed. Screen brightness set to 50%, wireless connected to Airport and simple browsing. Starts at 3.30 hours and gives a total of around 2 hours. I am going to re-calibrate the battery one more time to see if it reports accurate charge.

Again, looking forward to see what times other ppl get out of this model.

4. mape2k macrumors regular

Try the recalibration, then report back. It really should be more than 2 hours for an 8 week old battery. Did you check the activity monitor? Something running at 100% CPU in the background (although very unlikely after a fresh reinstall).
    If the battery is good, then all thats left to blame would be the ssd.

5. NBhatti thread starter macrumors newbie

I did re-calibrated yesterday but still the same. The processor usage is not high at all. Almost 0. Out of 8, only 4 cores shows spikes. For the sake of testing, I replaced the hard drive with stock 500 GB 7200 RPM but the results were the same. Right now, the battery is 96% full and it shows 2.40 hours only (variable). I just have firefox open with gmail and this website opened in tabs. No other heavy I/O or CPU intensive applications running at the moment.

How much time are you getting?

Attached Files:

6. mac00l macrumors 6502

I have a 2011 13" and I get around 6-7 hours.

But I have read, that some 15" and 17" are having problems with the graphic card kicking in instead of HD3000 whenever using other browser than safari. I suggest you to check that out.

Also check keyboard and screen backlight intensity.