Macbook Pro 2011 Refresh, Should I Wait *If it does come*

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davmcn, Jan 5, 2011.

  1. davmcn macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2011
    #1
    Hi,

    I'm new here and not sure if this was the right place to post this, but figured I'd give it a shot anyways ...

    I'm just wondering, there has been a lot of posts I've seen about a refresh in the Macbook Pro around Spring 2011. Does anyone know if it's worth waiting for ?

    I'm a student in Photography and Cinematography and looking at getting a Macbook Pro for school but don't want to buy one now if it's worth waiting a few months for...

    Dave.
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    Do you need it now or can you wait? What MBP are you looking at? Can current MBPs satisfy your needs? I would wait if you don't need it now
     
  3. atomwork macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2001
    Location:
    Miami Beach
    #3
    If we don't get a Quad or Six core than don't wait.
     
  4. davmcn thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2011
    #4
    Thanks for replying ,

    I'm currently looking at the 15' 2.66 i7. I for sure want a Quad Core since I do a lot of movie/film processing on my Mac Pro. I've heard a lot of rumors that the new ones may potentially have SSD or Flash memory and that seems like something I would like if it were to happen, But the only big concern I do have, is that if they remove the Super Drive I'll be left out buying an external drive.
     
  5. Cammer macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2011
    #5
    I just bought a 15" 2.8ghz i7 with 4mb RAM and the hi-res screen. I feel that it would be able to handle your needs very well. If you look on the Apple website you will find my faster processor listed there, but it isn't obvious. It is a $200 upgrade from the 2.66ghz. If you do order a MBP from Apple, I would not buy the 8gb RAM option. They charge $400 for it. Instead you can go to the Crucial website, or whatever your favorite brand of RAM is, and buy a full 8mb of RAM for about $120. It is not difficult to swap it out and instructions can be found on the Apple website.

    As far as the SSD is concerned, that option is offered now. However they charge somewhere around $1200 for a 256gb SSD. Once again, if you buy a good quality aftermarket SSD you will pay less than half that. I found a Crucial 256gb SSD for $569 with free shipping. If you want to go bigger you can get a 512gb SSD for about $2000, IIRC. That is all the research I did, so you may find better deals out there from other suppliers.
     
  6. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

    vipergts2207

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #6
    It's unlikely that we'll see quad core SB in MBP's.
     
  7. riyadc macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2004
    #7
    At this point in time its probably best to wait, a new revision will most likely come out in less then 3 months.
     
  8. citizenal macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2010
    #8
    I would only get it if you have no other computer to use, but seeing as you said you have a mac pro, I probably would wait for the newer tech to come out.
     
  9. Jakedono macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2010
    #9
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    When do u go to college? Do u have somthing else that u can use till it is released. Or don't u have anything else to use.
     
  10. davmcn thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2011
    #10
    I go back in early April. I could use my Mac Pro remote desktop from school. Just the problem with that is Bandwidth.
     
  11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2009
    #11
    You have a mac pro, are looking at a 2.66 15" MBP and are worried about a $50 external burner? :confused:
     
  12. aCondor macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2010
    Location:
    United States
    #12
    If you don't need it until April I would wait. Should be coming out around that time (+/- 2 months).
     
  13. Jakedono macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2010
    #13
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Just use the MBP that you have now.
     

Share This Page