Macbook Pro 2011 shut down at 75%

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seal308, Mar 6, 2012.

1. seal308 macrumors newbie

Hello, I am worried about my macbook pro because it shut down at 75% battery.
    This has happened before at 40 and 50%, now i'm really worried.
    I also noticed that my battery seems to be running out at a faster rate, but i'm guessing this has to do with the more applications i'm running and not the machine itself.
    It's a 2011 MBP, the battery cycles so far are 286. I understand that i should consider replacing at 1000 so that should be fine.
    The condition of my battery reported by system profiler, system report states that it is normal.
    I'm thinking it might have to do with my charger.
    I will not lie, I have put my charger under a lot of abuse.
    The magnetic tip of the charger got spilt and got stuck on the MBP. This revealed some golden pegs on the charger that matched the metal tip stuck on the MBP. If i align the tips and put it on, the MBP appears to be charging.
    Also my charger short circuited when plugged. (A flame went up, the plug that attaches to the wall is slightly melted but still working)
    So i'm thinking it might be the charger cause my battery appears to be working well.
    Someone told me that i had to calibrate my battery, but i understand that the newer MBP are precalibrated already.
    according to coconut battery my current capacity of battery is 6549 mAh while the design capacity is 6900 mAh (94% which is normal)
    Can anyone tell me what's wrong, why it's wrong, and how i can fix it?
    thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sounds like you should make an appointment at an Apple Store or Authorized Repair Center.