MacBook Pro 2011 shuts down after about 10 seconds...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SpitUK, Sep 9, 2011.

1. SpitUK macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

My MBP has worked flawlessly. I just did the latest OS X software update and it asked me to reboot. The spinning thing came on the screen and I left it for about 10 minutes and the mac was getting very hot. I decided to switch off and reboot. It now only gets about 10 seconds in and switches off. I see the apple logo, then a bar starts to fill up and then the spinny thing comes up and it just switches off. I am not so good on the technical side and the nearest apple store is 100 miles away!.

Any ideas?

----------

Tried resetting pram and made no difference. Can't believe it :(

2. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

If you have Lion, then start from the recovery disk, then repair disk and disk permissions with disk utility. If that doesn't help, reinstall OS X.

3. SpitUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried that and verify disk and repair disk say the disk cannot be repaired in red writing.

Can't believe this has happened, got away from windows to stop this.

4. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

I'm sorry it happened. Just try to reinstall. With your Vertex 3 from the recovery disk, it shouldn't take longer than 10minutes. Do you have a time machine backup? Your data should still be on the drive if you just reinstall though.

5. SpitUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks jron. So if I do a reinstall it will keep my settings and programs?

----------

Says this disk is locked.

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You may have to do a clean install, and this time, don't turn it off in the middle.

7. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

A friend of mine did the same thing, after the reinstall everything was still there. I can't guarantee that it will work in your case, even when my friend had a similar problem. After the update his partition was messed up as well.
    If you don't have a backup, you could try to make a second partition, install lion and then move everything you need from the old partition manually.