MacBook Pro 2011 - Snow Leopard bizzarity.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by revelated, Mar 11, 2011.

1. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

OK.

This is now the third time that I have noticed bizzarre behavior in Snow Leopard after installing my SSD. Here's what's happening.

Whenever I wake my MBP up, it brings up the login dialog instantly...when I type my credentials, it sits at "checking password" for at least 10 seconds. Annoying, since i don't know what's causing it. I'm not on a domain or otherwise being authenticated except locally. I figured it might be a drive issue, so I went to Disk Utility, ran Verify Disk. It yelled back at me that the drive needed to be repaired; no problem, I have the install disc handy.

So I boot into the installer, fire up Disk Utility, and do Verify Disk. It says the drive is OK and no issues reported.

This is the third time now that I have had the OS report an issue with the drive yet the Disk Utility in the install disk says everything is fine. Any ideas why this is?

2. endless17 macrumors member

What SSD are you using? There is a known issue with sandforce-based SSDs resuming from hibernation with OSX that could be causing your issue.

3. revelated, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

No, it's an Intel X25-M. 160GB.

What's weird is, after I did the verify disk and restarted Snow Leopard, the issue went away. Even though I didn't fix anything. So it's like the OS is reporting a 'dirty' disk after a while of non-rebooting.

Correction: It's not fixed, and I can replicate it. Happens when the computer goes to deep sleep - lid closed. After coming back out of deep sleep it will then bring up the login prompt instantly, but after entering the password, it sits at "Checking password" for up to 10 seconds. If I reboot and never let it go to deep sleep, it's fine.

2010 MBP never did this so I'm wondering if it's a hardware issue.

EDIT: I think I tracked down the cause. I had an app called SmartSleep installed, set to the default, which is sleep + hibernate. Changing that to sleep only resulted in normal behavior. So it seems if the computer is hibernated, I see the delay noted.