Macbook Pro 2011 SSD change

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aoaaron, Jul 9, 2014.

1. aoaaron macrumors 6502

hi I need to replace my HDD which is failing. I decided to go down the SSD route.

I keep getting rainbow ball errors with disk error s02 on the log. its been going on for a long time and has gotten worse. i've verified disk etc, nothings worked.

i don't want super duper performance with super write speeds. any mid range decent SSD will do. my main problem i space, at a minimum i want around 200GB, preferably more in the 500GB range. can someone please recommend me an SSD: my budget is probably around £200-300 including enclosure and whatever else is necessary for the switch. can someone please help me out?

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I bought this one last week and very happy with it. Well within your price range.

Crucial CT480M500SSD1 2.5-inch 480GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive

I paid £154 from Amazon.co.uk. The Amazon vendor was Klen.

I had an existing USB enclosure that I used to clone it with Carbon Copy before I put it in the machine. These are available for under £20.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Check out the Samsung EVO SSD or the Crucial MX100. Both are about the best deal right now. For an enclosure, if you just want something to copy the data over once, and cheap USB3 enclosure will work. If you want something a little faster for ongoing usage this one with UASP support is a good choice (although your Mac does not support UASP it would be good to have for future usage).

You will need a size 00 Phillips screw driver to take the case apart and a #6 Torx driver to remove the screws from the side of the drive.

4. bennynova macrumors member

like other said, you will find MANY SSDs for your price range
    even 500GB ones

what do you need an enclosure for? to transfer data?
    is your original HDD bad?
    or is your HDD cable bad