Macbook Pro 2011 SSD gradually slowing down?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dman91, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Dman91 macrumors member

Hello folks

I have got a 15 inch macbook pro 2011 2.2 quad i7 , with a 128 GB SSD, when I first got it it was grate and fast, but with time after I installed a few apps and Parallel 7 running XP , I noticed that when booting up , it took longer then I used to and that spnning thing showed up under the apple like in iPhones.

Now I have deleted parallel and I think windoes XP and a few other apps, I have around 98GB of free space , I think it was around 102 free when I got it and I have only a few apps, like Skype, photoshop cs5 fireofx , and camtasia recorder but it still does that loading when booting up

any advice ?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

sometimes you get used to something and the wow factor wears off and you know think its slow

like HD TV its wow the first time you see it then it slow becomes normal, have you actually timed it with a stop watch to see a difference?

3. pazz macrumors regular

4. andy.barron macrumors 6502

How have you deleted the apps? Just trashing them will leave behind files & prefs etc. that will clog your system up.

5. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

This shouldn't actually affect an SSDs performance at all

6. andy.barron macrumors 6502

What data? it takes space

7. Dman91 thread starter macrumors member

Its apple's SSD

and I have mesured boot up time before installing Parallel 7 and running windows xp and boot up time was 13 sec and now even after uninstalling it it needs around 34 secs to boot up.

and I did uninstalling it by draging the icon of the app in the application folder to the trash.

8. Dman91 thread starter macrumors member

is there anything that I can do to make it faster again?

9. magamo macrumors 6502

Maybe it's not the SSD's problem? I'd been using Intel's first generation of X25-M for about 2 and half years until recently and didn't notice any performance drop, though if you benchmark my MBP, it'll probably show a slight degradation. It was able to take all kinds of abuse it had to go through like torrenting and DVD ripping as well as daily websurfing and stuff.

I'm now on a new MBP with apple's SSD (I think it's TS256B) and it hasn't shown any noticeable performance drop yet. I even did full recovery from Time Machine.

10. Dman91 thread starter macrumors member

11. dusk007, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It is not a SSD problem. It has to do with OSX startup behavior.
    Usually it should only take longer after certain update installations, but some people reported that they installed really fast fresh SSDs and it still was nowhere near as fast as it should be.
    I think if an SSD is installed OSX switches to some different startup routine and there is a bug which is why it doesn't work sometimes.
    I am guessing Parallels 7 messed up something and deinstalling didn't set it right again. I have no idea how to solve this, one would need help from somebody who actually knows his way around the kernel and what happens there at startup.
    Windows offers some startup process analyzing software but I have never heard of something similar in OSX.

A clean reinstall probably solves the problem. Maybe installing some VM software again could solve the problem too. Maybe try VMware Fusion in my experience it is a lot more reliable than Parallels.