Macbook Pro 2011 upgrades, advice appreciated

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bjfs, Jul 31, 2014.

1. bjfs macrumors newbie

Hello!

So to cut the short backstory shorter I just thought I might as well upgrade my macbook (http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-13-early-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html) a bit more so I don't have to shell out on a new one in the near future. I would really appreciate a bit of guidance as I don't have loads of experience with this.

So currently I have 16GB of RAM but I'm now looking at upgrading to an SSD (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-500GB-2-5-inch-Basic-Solid/dp/B00E3W19MO/). Having done some research this seems the best value for its performance levels.

I'd install this in place of my current 500GB standard issue HDD currently in my Macbook and install this HDD in place of my Optical Disk Drive an adapter caddy thing (http://www.amazon.co.uk/caddy-MacBook-replaces-SuperDrive-enclosure/dp/B00A2VNUK4/).

Then, to continue the game of musical drives, place the optical drive (or potentially a blue ray drive I purchase if I'm feeling lavish) in the external enclosure (above).

Right, so onto the bit I'm less sure about... After that's done I'd then use migration assistant/time machine (from external HHD - anyone have a rough idea how long a 200GB migration over USB 2.0 might take!?!) to put my OSX on the SSD using a Mavericks bootable USB. I would expand my 80GB Windows 7 partition on my HHD in the optical drive bay and be able to boot from that if I wished.

Does this all check out?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That sound alike a good plan*. You might also take a look at the Crucial MX100 SSD for about $30 less. Take a look at this. Nothing wrong with the EVO either though.

As far as moving everything to the new SSD, there is no need to reinstall Mavs. Just option key boot to your Time Machine backup and that will take you to a recovery screen. From there just erase the new drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format the click restore to move the OS and all data to the SSD.

Figure around 20 MB per second or so for the data transfer over USB2.

* I can't answer the Windows part though as I am not familiar with it.

3. bjfs thread starter macrumors newbie

Great thanks!
    If anyone fancies adding anything do let me know!

4. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

200 GB via USB2 - count on at least a couple of hours if not 3-5. Make sure your setup won't be physically disturbed!

Entirely depends on your makeup of files. Lots of tiny files will wind up taking longer.

You're doing the right thing going to SSD - it will feel like an entirely new computer!

5. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Whilst I agree with your upgrades, I don't think it's the right machine to upgrade. The 2011 MacBook Pro is likely to, or will inevitably suffer from the GPU failure or 'Radeongate' problem. Any other Macbook Pro and it would have been a very good, cost-effective upgrade making it perform like the newer models but it's a bit risky upgrading this particular line imo.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The OP has a 13" Sandy Bridge model, so Radeongate won't hit it.

Radeongate only affects early/late-2011 15" and 17" models with the Radeon GPU :)

7. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

My bad, didn't realise the OP has the 13" model :eek::eek: Ignore everything I said OP. The upgrade makes sense in this case. :)

8. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

3 hour bid and 5 hour offer.

>

9. bjfs thread starter macrumors newbie

Gosh that's a relief had me worried for a second, already ordered the SSD!

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Just add SSD and add more memory your MBP will run like a new MBP. :apple:

11. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I never tried the TimeMachine restore like Weaselboy said. As an alternative procedure, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner to move your OSX partition to the SSD. Install the SSD in the USB enclosure, partition with Disk Utility, launch Carbon Copy Cloner to copy your entire filesystem to the new drive. Then, try booting via the external enclosure. If everything worked, just install the SSD inside the Macbook. But the TimeMachine also looks a good -- if not better -- choice.