MacBook Pro 2011 Vista ethernet driver

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Trif, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Trif macrumors newbie

Nov 22, 2010

I have a MacBook Pro from early 2011 and a 64-bit Windows 7 upgrade disk, which I want to install via Boot Camp. However, Windows 7 upgrade installation requires a validated XP or Vista installation to install.

Luckily, I found my 64-bit Vista Ultimate full retail version disk and installed that first. As I popped in my driver CD burned by Boot Camp Assistant, I discovered that Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 now. Brilliant.

I don't need any graphics drivers, wireless drivers, keyboard drivers etc. All I need is the regular ethernet driver so I can validate my Vista install and install Windows 7.

I know Apple doesn't provide these anymore, but would it be possible to use the Windows 7 drivers through manual Device Manager installation, or is there another way to get this ethernet driver?

Oh, or is there a way to validate Vista legally without an internet connection?
  2. Joelb955 macrumors member

Aug 4, 2010
    Im 98% sure you can do a fresh install of that windows 7 upgrade disk. I just did one, they don't require vista is installed just that vista is purchased. :)
  3. LiquidSpikes macrumors regular

Jul 6, 2007
    Everett, WA
    Yup you can!

1. you can install Windows 7 twice... first time dont put in a product key (puts the os in 30 day trial mode) then reinstall... ermmm ummm.... "upgrade" that install. :)

or you can do the following with a little registry hacking

Open regedit.exe with Start Menu Search and navigate to:

Change MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0". (Double-click it and then enter 0 in the dialog that appears.)

Close RegEdit.

Open the Start Menu again and type cmd in Start Menu search to display a shortcut to the Command Line utility. Right-click this shortcut and choose "Run as administrator."

In the command line window, type: slmgr /rearm

Then hit ENTER, you should see "Command completed successfully" dialog.

Then, close the command line window and reboot. When Windows 7 reboots, run the Activate Windows utility, type in your product key and activate windows.

If it works, you're all set. You're done. Congratulations.

If this does not work, you can try two different things:

First, ensure there are no pending Windows Updates to install. In my experience, some of these can cause this method to fail. Install them and reboot PC. Re-run the command line (with administrative privileges) noted above, reboot again, and re-attempt the activation.

4. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    XP would give you a phone activation option if there was no Internet connection; does that not work in Vista?