Macbook pro 2011 with samsung 830 wont shut down 3 beeps problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krava, Aug 4, 2012.

1. krava macrumors newbie

Hello people I have an issue I hope you guys can help me with. I took my macbook pro 2011 13.3 model put 16gb ram in it along with a samsung 830 I am having issues waking up out of hibernation and also when I shut down I get 3 beeps over and over again and have to hold power button down to shut it off. I am running mountain lion on it. I also changed the ram back to 4gb and still having the beeps when I shut it off, when it boots back up saying there was an issue shutting it down. Any ideas?

2. krava thread starter macrumors newbie

I stuck the drive into windows reformatted it but then relized the thing has the current firmware on it. is it and issue with mountain lion and this? i did the updates and it still beeps

3. nangariel macrumors member

The beeping might suggest a memory problem. Make sure the modules are properly seated (mainly the bottom one, it needs to be pushed down a bit more to sit properly in the brackets), also try using just one of the modules at the time to check if one of them isn't defective.

4. krava thread starter macrumors newbie

not a memory issue I have them in correctly I am a PC tech

5. nangariel macrumors member

Have you run any other OS on the drive? Have you tried running some diagnostics?

6. krava thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed lion then stuck the cd and installed moutain lion on top of it, I think I might have fixed it by redoing it and installing straight from moutain lion. It wouldn't let me reboot, it would try to reboot, then go black then beep then I had to do a hard restart and then things back to normal. will let you know

7. krava thread starter macrumors newbie

Reinstall fixed it. this is early macbook 2011 only macbooks I ever delt with are 2006,2007 white ones. I added 16gb ram in it and a brand new samsung 830 going to stick this thing on ebay as I have no idea how to even use a mac and don't really need anything more then a dual core laptop I get for $100 to do internet chat and small things with. So anyone else runs into that shutdown problem it is installing mountain lion ontop of lion.

8. nangariel macrumors member

Glad you managed to fix it ;)
    This just confirms that if you can do a clean install it's always better than upgrading, kinda sucks... but hey, what did you expect from the world's most advanced desktop OS :rolleyes: