Macbook Pro 2012 13" Screen gone black

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrisjm29, Sep 28, 2016.

1. chrisjm29 macrumors newbie

chrisjm29

Hi,

My screen has been working fine and never had any issues. Last night i erased my data on partition and started to reinstall osx software, as it is going to be sold soon. The screen was working througout the insall of osx, but when i went back to check its gone black.

I can switch the computer on/off, getting the normal startup sound and i know its at the set up screen as voiceover starts, but cannot see anything. Does anyone know why?
    I went from using yosemite to installing mountain lion, does this mean anything?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Try hold down the power button until the sleep indicator on the front turns off.

As soon as you press the power button to turn it back on, press and hold the following keys: CMD + ALT + P + R. Continue to hold these keys down until you hear the Apple boot chime 3 times, then let go.

Any luck?

3. chrisjm29 thread starter macrumors newbie

chrisjm29

Thanks for the response, i had tried this. The screen remained black. I could tell it had worked as the volume had reset and was much louder.

I have reinstalled osx before without issue, however this was for mountain lion this time, i left the screen open and everything was working fine during the install, the i came back to find it in this state. I hadnt't switched off or anything. Might it have something to do with this software?

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Hmm, it wouldn't be due to the OS. I imagine you've tried the brightness keys too.

What about through an external monitor? Does it show up? If so, you can try setup OS X and then see if the screen springs into life after the user account is created. If you're not having any luck there, you can turn off the machine & unplug the battery from the Logic Board for a few minutes.

5. chrisjm29 thread starter macrumors newbie

chrisjm29

I havent yet tried either of these. The external monitor was going to be my next thing. I'll try both of these this evening and hopefully one will work! Thankyou!

6. tjwilliams25, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016

tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

Have you tried resetting the SMC? It may have gotten stuck in Target Display Mode and needs the system controller reset. Apple's guide here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295.

EDIT: Nevermind the Target Display Mode, I forgot that it wasn't what I was thinking and is only on iMacs :p

However, do still try resetting it as it may still resolve your issue.

7. chrisjm29 thread starter macrumors newbie

chrisjm29

Thanks for your help! It's all sorted now.

I had tried resetting my PRAM and SMC settings which didnt work. However, disconnection the battery did seem to work.

Thanks Again