Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baxter111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Hi Guys,

I've got a MBP 2012 13" which I've had over a year now... all has been working fine until the other week when it wouldn't turn on.

Well I say it won't turn on, it makes the usual sounds when booting and caps lock light is working but the screen is just completely black.

I've sent it back to costco as they offer a 2 year warranty... the MBP came back to me today and they haven't been able to fix it because of water ingress, they say there is slight corrosion on the logic board.

My question is, is it worth me taking the back off and having a go at cleaning the board... because when I spoke to them they said it's very slight corrosion.

Should I take the back off and take some photos of the board and you guys can tell me if it's worth a shot.

Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Usually water damage (if that is what is wrong) shorts out the logic board and cleaning things won't help that IMO.

Baxter111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Thanks for the reply...

If it was completely short would it even power on and make the usual start-up noises?

It charges and the battery indicator is working OK...

Thanks.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Thanks for the reply...

If it was completely short would it even power on and make the usual start-up noises?

It charges and the battery indicator is working OK...

Thanks.

The liquid damage often causes corrosion or electromigration that isn't fixable. You can open it up and try, but there is no guarantee that it'll fix the issue. Even if it does, the corrosion can continue to cause more damage that you can't see or clean up. There is a high probability that the computer will die again due to the damage.

As a side note, I always think it's funny when a post goes on about how the computer "just stopped working" and then at the end "oh by the way I spilled something on it." :rolleyes:

Baxter111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
The liquid damage often causes corrosion or electromigration that isn't fixable. You can open it up and try, but there is no guarantee that it'll fix the issue. Even if it does, the corrosion can continue to cause more damage that you can't see or clean up. There is a high probability that the computer will die again due to the damage.

As a side note, I always think it's funny when a post goes on about how the computer "just stopped working" and then at the end "oh by the way I spilled something on it." :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply... Ok - how much can these sort of things cost?

Yea I know what you mean, my wife is a childminder and I think one of the kids have split water on it!! Haha

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the reply... Ok - how much can these sort of things cost?

Yea I know what you mean, my wife is a childminder and I think one of the kids have split water on it!! Haha

You likely need a whole new logic board. Look at iFixit. I think the last time I looked they are around $400.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.