Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Devroet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2015
Hi,

My backlight is broken. I opened the Macbook and this chip seems to be burnt through. Anyone has any idea what this part is? A part or chip name?

IMG_1628.jpg

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Looks like either (a former) capacitor or resistor. I can't quite tell though. Considering it's location to the display cable, it might be something to do with the display. Have you ever spilled anything in the machine?

Devroet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2015
Looks like either (a former) capacitor or resistor. I can't quite tell though. Considering it's location to the display cable, it might be something to do with the display. Have you ever spilled anything in the machine?

I was hoping for an exact name of the part, I think it's related to my backlight of the display. It doesnt work, so .... that must be it.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I was hoping for an exact name of the part, I think it's related to my backlight of the display. It doesnt work, so .... that must be it.

Well, it's fried and that's your logic board so if your looking to attempt to fix it, it'll most likely be your logic board. Otherwise, your backlight could have gone out. Depending on the year, logic boards can run you $300+ on eBay and if it's your backlight instead it would just be easier to replace the whole screen assembly (clamshell) and that would probably set you back about $300.

Devroet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2015
Well, it's fried and that's your logic board so if your looking to attempt to fix it, it'll most likely be your logic board. Otherwise, your backlight could have gone out. Depending on the year, logic boards can run you $300+ on eBay and if it's your backlight instead it would just be easier to replace the whole screen assembly (clamshell) and that would probably set you back about $300.

I know it's a logicboard. And I am looking for a way to repair it. So if someone knows the name of the capacitor or fuse, I can solder in a new one. The screen is not broken, so I am not going to replace the screen. I am just looking for a way to repair the logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.