Macbook Pro 2012 coffee spill :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jason1978, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Jason1978 macrumors regular

So its 5:40 am, running on 3 hours sleep. Spilled coffee on my 8 month old Macbook on Sunday, took it in for repair, get a call this morning at 10:00 am giving me some bad news. To make a long story short, there was coffee caked on different parts of the interior of the macbook. Here are just some of the pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To be honest I don't even know what Im looking at with half these pictures. He didn't clean it because I guess he thought it was a lost cause. I bought a new macbook today on credit- only reason being is because I am getting a large settlement in about 3 weeks.

I have the other Macbook in my hands, it turns on but the macbook does not recognize the battery as well as no battery percentage. It only runs when the battery is plugged in.

So its either the logic board or the battery itself. I am hoping to get 700-800 for this device. Not sure whether I want to sell for parts or pay the 200 to get the internal components cleaned and/or get a new battery. Its kind of a gamble because it could be either or. Logic boards are expensive, and not worth it. Not sure what to do. Any advice anyone?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I think that LB is going to be shot...maybe not yet, but it will eventually...I really wouldn't spend money cleaning it unless you replace that board, and that's probably not going to be economic...Your sell for parts idea is probably the best way to go...

3. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

Possible to get 700 for parts? The lcd screen is in mint condition and I know those run about $500 if not a little less. Should I clean the coffee stains off any parts that I am going to sell? Or it doesn't matter? I'm sure liquid damaged parts are offered at less $$ then regular parts

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd clean off what you can. I'm not sure about price back home. I'm in the UK now but yes I'd say that's about right. A good screen probably other reuse able stuff too. It's all about what somebody is prepared to pay

5. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks. Its better then nothing and just tossing it.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Might be worth checking your home insurance. I know ours covers accidental damage. Won't hurt to ask

7. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

I live in an apartment so that wouldn't work :p

8. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Maybe try these guys..

I have saved this Link for a long time, never had any dealings with, but these guys CLAIM to be able to fix most models and Logic Board Issues, and prices don't seem too unreal to me (silly Canadian) so might be worth a look if you have an allowable 'repair $$ in mind'..

Good Luck!!

http://www.dttservice.com/macbookpro.html

9. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i would say maybe 200-300 for the whole machine, you can buy they whole lcd assembly on ebay for 150-200.

the parts inside can be parted out which take alot of time and depending on there condition you could get more like 400.