Macbook Pro (2012) dead or time for a upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by walts_with_potatoes, Jul 31, 2019.

1. walts_with_potatoes, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019

walts_with_potatoes macrumors newbie

Sorry it is a late 2013 not 2012

So my Macbook pro seems have experienced a quick death over this week.

Towards the end of last week, i have had issues with the fan suddenly ramping up and the machine going incredibly slow. As such i decided to erase everything (it was due) and reinstall the OS (high sierra). This seems to have helped, although i did experience a random lock up since then.

Today i opened my mac, browsed facebook and i got a system crash where my mac reset.

Upon resetting, there was some funky colours in the wallpaper on the login screen. When logging in, i would get a progress bar but it would move extremely slow, the fan would ramp up and it would eventually freeze with 3/4 to go. I can't log in, but i can hear the sound of some dialog prompts opening.

I tried getting into recovery, but i see the apple logo and again, a progress bar which eventually freezes a various point before my mac eventually shuts off after a whilst. I have tried recovering via internet, but then it just sits on the globe icon after i have selected my wifi network.

If i try going back into my mac after trying recovery mode, it gets stuck on the apple logo till i do a PRAM/NVRAM reset, which gets me back to login screen. How ever with the same situation happens, where i get funky colours in the background and the login freezes after a whilst.

I have tried resetting the SMC, which stops the fan spinning at full speed, but then startup/login freezes at an even earlier point and on first restart after that we're back to the fan ramping up again.

I have tried safe mode, but again i get an issue where the apple logo freezes on a progress bar.

I can run diagnostic mode and get errors with the SMC, Camera and i have to replace the battery (which to be fair, iv'e needed to do for years but as it doesn't leave my desk, i didn't care)

Any ideas? I have been thinking of replacing it for a whilst, but i am also loathed on replacing something that up till a week ago was actually running perfectly. Is it time for the upgrade or any suggestions to try salvaging it?

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

3. walts_with_potatoes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. It's a retina. It's also a late 2013. I'm confusing how long I've had it.

Here is what the screen looks like.
    https://ibb.co/6JCNFH0

4. CreeptoLoser macrumors 6502

CreeptoLoser

Anything over 5 years old is only good for retro gaming and old apps not compatible with new OS.

5. walts_with_potatoes thread starter macrumors newbie

To be fair I only now really use it for browsing, Netflix and work which is mainly web based, so that's not a problem.

Used to be for video editing etc but not now.