MacBook Pro (2012) help with SSD installation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sanshiipple, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Sanshiipple, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015

Sanshiipple macrumors newbie

Sanshiipple

I need some advise about something I'd like to do with my MacBook Pro (2012).

Well, I'm looking to buy an SSD (250 GB). I need to use Windows, so I want to make something different than a simple BootCamp partition, (for example using the original HDD as an external drive with Windows SO installed or something like that).

So I wonder if it's possible to put the SSD on original HDD placement, and then put the HDD on the SuperDrive's one. I would install Windows on the SSD, copying the BootCamp partition from HDD into the SSD. So HDD would be keeping OS X installed, but just replacing the SuperDrive unit. (This is what am I wondering my self, because I don't know if it's possible, because I've read that if you remove SuperDrive's unit the system won't boot anything but OS X).

Other thing I've thought would be just the other way out, to clone OS X on the SSD, then I install the SSD on the HDD unit. Once the SSD it's placed and working fine, I install Windows on the original HDD, (I've watched some methods, like cloning windows as I've said before or another ways more complicated...). So then after all this, Could I now replace the SuperDrive unit with this HDD, and booting windows by pressing (ALT)?

I would prefer to use the SSD with Windows, but I don't want to replace SuperDrive's unit with SSD or just using it such an external drive... Many questions, I know, but I don't have any idea about how to do this... I hope you can help me.

Sorry for my english!

Thank you very much!

2. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

You can put either the SSD or HDD in the superdrive slot. Given your post, the one thing I would be concerned about would be "copying the BootCamp partition from HDD into the SSD" versus installing it directly.

I have the exact SSD/HDD configuration you describe. I've not had a single issue.

Unfortunately, I am not up to speed on Windows installs, and the limitations that might exist with multiple installs of the same "license key" to different storage devices. Hopefully someone else can comment on that aspect of your question.

Good Luck!!