Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lion114

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2017
hey guys.

lately I've been felling that my macbook pro 2012 mid got little bit slower.

i just upgraded him not long ago like 2 months ago with a brand new samsung 850 eve 250GB SSD

and restore it so pretty much i don't have alot of apps installed...

lately I've been feeling slowing down in the safari when I'm trying to lunch new websites...

at the begging after i upgraded the macbook with the ssd and reinstall the software the macbook worked perfectly fine faster than ever...

i didn't upgraded the ram yet so I'm still with 4GB i was thinking maybe to upgrade to 8GB or 16GB i don't know i was hoping you guys will advice me...

my usage is only internet and some office work no more than that.

its a 2012 macbook pro mid 13 inch non retina.

is there any way to clean it? or check what makes it slower lately?

I'm sure there is no virus on it because i barely have any app on it..

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Run the Activity Monitor app and select the "Memory" tab. At the bottom of the window, there will be different numbers. If "Swap Used" is a large number, that will definitely slow the computer down and getting additional memory will definitely help. If "Compressed" is a large number, then the computer anticipates that it will run short of memory and has used compression of what is in memory to reduce the need for memory. If it has to use that compressed memory, there is a performance hit when it has to uncompress it. The "Memory Used" number should be a guide as to how much memory you should get should you decide to get more memory. It's best if you get 2 memory modules of the same size so that would either be 8GB or 16GB, replacing the two modules you have now.

If the websites you visit require a lot of computer resources, that could definitely be a cause of the slowness you are experiencing. I think that is likely what your issue is, given what you have written in your post. For Safari, you can see the memory used by the websites in the listing in Activity Monitor. Right now, I can see macrumors.com is using 402MB of memory on my computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.