MacBook Pro 2012 (MTLion, just updated) won't connect to my screen. [UNSOLVED]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wituz, May 29, 2013.

1. Wituz macrumors newbie

Hello there. Yes, I know this seems a bit complicated, but it is the only way I can connect my mac to the screen currently.

I am owning the following adapters/cables:
    • Mac to HDMI adapter
    • HDMI to VGA adapter
    • VGA cable to my screen

Connected using the following instructions:
    Mac -> HDMI -> VGA -> Screen

The problem is, that my mac screen just keeps flashing blue, but it dosen't connect to the external screen. I've tried to figure out what is wrong by myself by testing the different parts of the "cable".

- Mac to HDMI works if i connect it to my TV.
    - Mac to HDMI to VGA (with screen connected), makes the screen of the mac flash bluely.
    - Mac to HDMI to VGA to Screen has the same result as above.

The screen starts flashing, when i insert the HDMI -> VGA adapter in the whole cable, even though the VGA isn't connected to the screen in the end. I think it's the VGA adapter that makes the HDMI adapter think that the computer is connected to a screen, but it afterwards gets confused because the HDMI-VGA adapter isn't a screen.

I wondered if you could manually enter the screen information, and do it that way, i don't know - if you have any ideas of how I can connect my mac to my screen, please tell me :D

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

HDMI to VGA isn't really the way to go, others have tried without success.

3. Wituz thread starter macrumors newbie

It works on other devices .. by using HDMI -> VGA -> Screen. But not in MTLion sadly .. So no problem with HDMI -> VGA in general

4. justperry, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Erm, as far as I know a 2012 MBP does not have HDMI.

Edit:
    You should google "does a HDMI to VGA cable work"
    The answer to this is no, VGA is analogue while the other is digital, a converter works, just an adapter cable won't work.

5. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

What on earth is a Mac to HDMI connection (on an older MacBook Pro)? Is this the minidisplay port to HDMI? If so, I agree with the previous poster, stop being a cheapskate and spend $29 for an adaptor meant to give you VGA output.